Nursing is an art: and if it is to be made an art,it requires an exclusive devotion as hard a preparation, as any painter's or sculptor's work; for what is the having to do with dead canvas or dead marble, compared with having to do with the living body, the temple of God's spirit? It is one of the Fine Arts: I had almost said, the finest of Fine Arts.
Why Nursing Ethics?
The importance of nurses as members of the healthcare team cannot be overestimated. In addition to having a vital role in the end (telos) of medicine, they are the patient’s advocates. Being an essential member of the healthcare team, nurses have their own ethics. Yet, nursing ethics is not much different than, and indeed as important as, medical ethics.It also shares many of its main principles. Nurses practice ethics and use it day by day as they find themselves relating to physicians, patients, families and other professionals. Like William Osler once said, "The trained nurse has become one of the great blessings of humanity, taking a place beside the physician and the priest."
- Selected Bibliographies
- Ethics and Issues in Contemporary Nursing, 1st CANADIAN Edn., by Burkhardt, Nathaniel & Walton (2009)
- Toward a Moral Horizon: Nursing Ethics for Leadership & Practice, by Storch, Rodney & Starzomski, eds. (2004
- Concepts and Cases in Nursing Ethics, (2nd Edn), by Michael Yeo, Anne Moorhouse (1996)
- Caring: Nurses, Women and Ethics, by Helga Kuhse (1997)Ethical Dilemmas in Contemporary Nursing Practice, by
- Gladys B. White (1992)Ethics and Issues in Contemporary Nursing, by Margaret A. Burkhardt, Alvita Nathaniel, 3rd edn. (2007)
- Ethics in Nursing, by Martin Benjamin and Joy Curtis (1991)
- Expertise in Nursing Practice: Caring, Clinical Judgement and Ethics, by Patricia E. Benner (1996)
- Everyday Ethics: Resolving Dilemmas in Nursing Home Life, by Rosalie A. Kane and Arthur L. Caplan (1989)
- Ethical Decision Making in Nursing and Healthcare: The Symphonological Approach, by Gladys L. Husted and James H. Husted (2001)
- Selected Bibliography
- Codes of Ethics