The Digital Media Unit l Office of Communications is responsible for the day-to-day management of the website in accordance with AUB policies and procedures, design and content guidelines adopted by the Website Steering Committee. The Unit has the right to remove any outdated information or any information that violates university policies and procedures. The Unit reserves the right to refuse or to remove links from the website that do not comply with the mission of the University or AUB policies and procedures.
Website and Social Media
The Office of Communications is responsible for the development and administration of AUB's website as well as AUB’s social media outlets. In compliance with the web redesign authorized by the AUB Website Steering Committee and in coordination with the Office of Information Technology (IT) all AUB departmental websites should use the web templates.
The AUB Website Steering Committee (previously AUBweb Oversight) is chaired by the Office of Communications and includes representatives from faculty and a number of administrative units. The Committee develops and recommends policies related to the website. The Committee has the authority and responsibility (working with the AUBweb Editorial Board) to enforce compliance with published policies and guidelines (currently under revision).
To promote your events, announcements and news:
- To help you promote your events, announcements and news; kindly contact us with your requests for the weekly e-newsletter, AUB's homepage (picture 988x403px with 20% text only), AUB's News website, AUB's social media outlets and AUB's Events website (picture 733x596px).
- To submit an event/announcement, kindly fill in the online form.
- You can also use the digital screens installed on major building entrances on campus, email us your request with the poster of the event resized to 1280x650px with minimal large and clear text (20% only).
- Please note that not all announcements can be posted due to posting limits and priorities of events, news and announcements.
Timeline expected for a departmental website redesign: 15 working days, before being submitted to IT. View the web templates here.
- The Office of Communications approves all new website before going live in terms of content, structure and design and has the capacity to request edits on all departmental websites. You can also book training on the website via IT and on social media via HR.
- The Office of Communications offers web and social media services which include designing html-based email blasts for effective electronic communications, developing web-based animation services, and designing e-newsletters.
- AUB's social media policy provides general guidelines, etiquettes, visual identity and Style Sheet information .
Golden rules when using the Content Management System (CMS) SharePoint:
- To preserve the CSS style of the default web templates do not copy and paste from Microsoft Word or any other similar source. Always copy and paste using Notepad.
- When saving a new web page do not use spaces or special characters in the file name. All filenames should be short and straightforward. File names are case sensitive, best practice is to use lowercase when naming your file.
- Do not publish pictures and new websites on your own. Contact us for picture and design requests.
- Use proper English and keep the content short and easy to read. Make sure to follow AUB's Style Sheet. If you need assistance do not hesitate to contact us.
- AUB website is best compatible with Internet Explorer.
- Links to documents should open in a new window.
- Links to websites within AUB should open in the same window.
- Links to websites outside AUB should open in a new window.
- Use the Enter key to start a new paragraph.
- Use the Shift+Enter keys to start a new line within the same paragraph.
- Always click Check In to save and share draft.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) tips:
- Maintain fresh, up to date and brief content on your website
- Ask external credible and related websites to link to your website
- Link to credible websites from your own website (quality rather than quantity)
- When using links, use the full name of the link instead of “Click here”
- Use meaningful keywords and cluster your web pages to have specific keywords
- Add a description to each page and to each image and document you upload
- Add the word “image” or “picture” in the image ALT tag
- URL should be search friendly with keywords in the URL itself
- Consider using blogs and social media, as well a social component on the website
- Have a sitemap for the website