Nominations for Honorary Degrees
An Honorary Degree is given on a selective basis to distinguished individuals who, over the course of their careers, have made enduring contributions in the fields of academia, public or humanitarian service, arts and culture, business and philanthropy, and the media. An Honorary Degree may be awarded based on a record of scholarly excellence in a field of study in the sciences or humanities, artistic creativity, leadership, humanitarian service, or concern for the public good, as well as a demonstrated commitment to the humane and educational values that exemplify the mission of AUB.
Who can nominate: The President of the University, Trustees, Faculty members (individually or jointly), and members of the University community can nominate candidates to receive honorary degrees.
All nominations are forwarded to the Honorary Degree Committee (HDC) which reviews the nominations and makes its recommendations to the President for his review and endorsement. The HDC is appointed by the President and includes Trustees, the provost, members of the faculty, and a student representative. Final confirmation is subject to the approval of the Board of Trustees.
An honorary degree nominee shall not be informed that his or her name has been nominated; additionally, the status of the candidacy may not be discussed with the nominators. An honorary degree recipient must be present at the award ceremony to receive the degree in person. No honorary degree recipient can receive an honorarium or speaker’s fee for accepting a degree or delivering a commencement speech.
Nominees may not be current AUB trustees, current employees of AUB, or active politicians (leaders of political parties, members of parliament, members of governments, and heads of state).
An Honorary Degree Nomination should, whenever possible, include the following information:
1) Name of Nominee:
2) Nominee’s Contact Information:
3) Nominee’s Present Position:
4) Nominee’s Professional Background:
5) Nominee’s Degrees/Academic Background:
6) Nominee’s Awards and Notable Achievements:
7) Nominee’s Publications or Creative Work: (most relevant to recommendation)
8) Nominee’s Memberships and Professional Activities:
9) Nominee’s Area of achievement: (Scholarship; Artistic Creation; Humanitarian Service..)
10) Nominated by: (Name, Title, Department, Email, Telephone Number)
11) Justification of Nomination: (please provide information on the contributions that distinguish the nominee in her or his field, and provide a brief explanation, not to exceed two pages, of why you believe AUB should award an honorary degree to this candidate. Whenever possible, please include a CV, resume or biographical sketch of the candidate.)
Nominations should be submitted to:
The Honorary Degree Committee
c/o Ms. Annie Kasbarian
Executive Officer to the President
American University of Beirut
PO Box 11-0236
Fax: 961 1 744 474
Nominations for 2016 must be received no later than July 31, 2015.