Maher Jarrar: Is Professor at the American University of Beirut, both at Civilization Program & at the Department of Arabic and Near Eastern Languages. He is Chair of the Arts and Humanities Initiative (Mellon Grant) and Director of the Civilization Sequence Program.
Since April 2, 2012 : Chair, Arts & Humanities Initiative (Mellon Grant)
Since January 2012 : Director, Civilization Sequence Program
Since January 2012 : Associate Editor, Al-Abhath (Journal of the Faculty of Arts &
Sciences at AUB)
2002-Februar 2013 : Director, Anis Makdisi Program in Literature
2011, Fall : Visiting Professor, Harvard
Oct. 2004 – Oct. 2007 : Director, Civilization Sequence Program
June 2005 : Promoted to Full Professor
2002-2003 : Sabbatical year, Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin.
1996, Spring : Visiting Professor, Harvard
1989-1992 : Lecturer in Arabic, Albert-Ludwig-Universität, Freiburg i.Br.
1989 : Ph.D. in Islamic & Oriental Studies, Eberhart-Karls-
Universität, Tübingen (Germany).
Areas of Research: The biography of Prophet Muhammad (Sīra); Arabic Narratology, early and modern; The Arabian Nights; Literature of Islamic Spain, Al-Andalus; Early Zaydī history and dogmas.
a. ‘Abd al-Rahmān Munīf wa ’l-‘Irāq. Beirut, 2005.
b. al-Wāfī bi ’l-wafayāt, vol. 29. Beirut, 1997.
c. Akhbār Fakhkh, Beirut, 1995; 2nd reworked edition. Tunis, 2011.
d. Die Prophetenbiographie im islamischen Spanien: Ein Beitrag zur Überlieferungs- und Redaktionsgeschichte. Frankfurt and New York, 1989.
e. al-Ghunya: Fihrist Shuyūkh al-Qāḍī ‘Iyāḍ. Beirut, 1983.
f. Shi‘r al-Ramādī, Yūsuf b. Hārūn. Beirut, 1980.
2. Editor: A special issue of al-Abḥāth (AUB) on The Sociology of the Lebanese Civil War Novel, 52 (2004). A confernce held at AUB by the Anis Makdisi Program in Literature, May 14-16, 2004.
3. Co-editor: Myths, Historical Archetypes and Symbolic Figures in Arabic Literature. Towards a New Hermeneutic Approach, Stuttgart and Beirut, 1999.
4. Articles: published some 36 articles in academic journals, encyclopedias, and chapters in books.
5. Review-articles: 21 book-reviews in refereed academic journals.
6. Translations into Arabic:
7. Work in progress: Currently working on
a. A book on the Contemporary Arabic ‘Nouveau Roman’.
b. A critical edition, an English translation & a study in English & Arabic of Šarḥ kitāb al-Sunna, by Ğulām Ḫalīl (d. 275/888), a joint project with Professor Sebastian Günther (University of Göttingen).