||(961) 3 223063(Mobile)|
|(961) 1 744485 (Office)|
|(961) 1 362633 (Home)|
||(961) 1 744484 (Office)|
|(961) 1 362634 (Home)|
- PhD in Economics, Columbia University
- MA in Economics, American University of Beirut
- BA in Economics (with distinction), American University of Beirut
- Director, Institute of Financial Economics, 1984 -2007
- Chair, Economics Department , several Terms
- Member of Board Directors, Global Development Network, 2000 - 2008
- Deputy president, American University of Beirut, 1993-1998(Recipient of the American University of Beirut Medal for distinguished service to the University, 1998)
- Chair, Board of Trustees, Economic Research Forum for the Arab Countries, Iran, and Turkey (1993-2001); and re-elected board member since 2012
- Member of the Steering Committee, Forum of Euro-Mediterranean Economic Institutes (FEMISE), 1999
- Minister of Economy and Trade, 1992
International Economics, Monetary Economics, Development, Political Economy and Middle East Economics
Current Research Projects
- Co-managing (with Ibrahim Elbadawi) a major three year research project housed at the IFE and supported by an IDRC grant, on "Transition from Autocracy to Democracy in the Arab World" with the participation of 15 scholars from various Arab countries and abroad. The project, comprising both cross-country econometric work and selected Arab case studies, aims to identify major factors that have led to the beginnings of the shake up of Arab authoritarianism. It follows on an earlier completed research project on democracy and development in the Arab world. This study was published by Routledge under the title Democracy in the Arab World: Explaining the Deficit, 2011.
Other Research Projects
The impact of consociationalism on development: the Case of Lebanon
Democracy in the Arab World: Explaining the Deficit, 2011 (with I. Elbadawi)
Deconstructing Arab Transitions, from an Exclusive to an Inclusive Development (with I. Elbadawi)
Articles Recent ( since 2005 only)
"Understaning Democratic Transition in the Arab World", Economic Research Forum Working Paper No. 765, 2013 (With I. Elbadawi)
"Lebanon: The Legacy of Sectarian Conscociationalism and the Transition to the Full Fledged Democracy", Institute of Financial Economics, AUB, Lecture and Working Paper Series No. 1, 2013 (with Y. El-Khalil)
"Autocracy and the Transition to Democracy in the Arab region", Europe's World, September 2012, No. 1.
"Autocracies, Democratization and Development in the Arab Region", in Politics and Economic Development, Selected Papers from Economic Research Forum Annual Conference, Antalya,Turkey, March 2011.
"Explaining the Arab Democracy Deficit: The Role of Oil and Conflict", in I. Elbadawi and S. Makdisi (eds), Democracy in the Arab World: Explaining the Deficit, Routledge, 2011, (with I. Elbadawi)
"Lebanon; The Constrained Democracy and Its National Developmental Impact", in I. Elbadawi and S. Makdisi (eds), Democracy in the Arab World: Explaining the Deficit, (Routledge, 2011), (with F. Kiwan and M. Marktanner)
"Precarious Consociationalism: Lebanon's Predicament in Promoting Development", in K.R. Roy, A Medhekar and H. Chittoo (eds.). Globalization and Development: Country Experiences (Nova Science Publishers, Inc., 2010) (with M. Marktanner).
"Impact of the International Financial Crisis on growht in the Arab Countries, Arab Planning Institute, The impact of the International Financial Crisis on the Arab Countries, 2009
"The Obstacles to Arab Economic Integration: Factors that Underlie the Lack of Political Will", Alexandria Library publications, 2009.
"Trapped by Consociationalism: The Case of Lebanon", Topics in Middle Eastern and North African Economies, V.11, Middle East Economic Association and Loyola University Chicago, September 2009 (Witn M. Marktanner)
"Development Against All Odds? The Case of Lebanon", Review of Middle East Economics and Finance, V.4, Issue 2008 (with M. Marktanner)
"Rebuilding Without Resolution: The Lebanese Economy and State in the Post-Civil War Period", L. Binder (ed.), Rebuilding of Devastated Economies in the Middle East. (Palgrave/Macmillan, 2007)
"Explaining the Democracy Deficit in the Arab World", The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance - V. 46, Issue 5, February 2007 (with I. Elbadawi).
"The Arab/Israeli Conflict and the Question of Democracy in the Arab World", in the Middle East: Issues and Conflicts, Institute of Political Science, St. Joseph University, (Beirut, 2007/08).
"The Determinants of Economic Growth in the MENA Region", J. Nugent and H. Pesaran (eds), Explaining Growth in the Middle East (North Holland/Elsevier, Contributions to Economic Analysis Series), V. 278, December 2006 (with I. Limam and Z. Fattah).
" Developmental Thought and Arab Development", N. Ferjani et.al (eds), Horizons of Arab Development, volume in memory of Mervat El Badawi-Arab Fund for Economic and Economic Development/Dar 'Attalia', 2006 - in Arabic.
"The Lebanese Civil War, 1975-1990", P. Collier and N. Sambanis (eds), Understanding Civil War: Evidence and Analysis, vs I and II , The World Bank, 2005 (With R. Sadaka),.
"Modernity and the Modernization of the Arab Economies", in G., Tarabishi (ed), Modernity and Arab Modernity", published by Arab Institute of Modern Thought, (Beirut 2005).
"Development of Financial Markets in the Arab World" in the Financial Sector and Economic Growth, the Arab Monetary Fund, 2005.