Jad Melki, Ph.D. is a journalism and media studies professor, trainer, researcher and consultant and a freelance multimedia and broadcast journalist. Melki currently holds the position of assistant professor of journalism and media studies at the American University of Beirut. He is also the research director of the International Center for Media and the Public Agenda (ICMPA) at the University of Maryland, College Park, a visiting faculty at Johns Hopkins University, USA, and at the Salzburg Academy for Media and Global Change, Austria. Melki is also a media education, media development, and digital journalism training consultant working with various institutions, including the Jordan Media Institute, the Salzburg Global Seminar, and the International College. Previously, he was a visiting faculty at Towson University, teaching research methods, media and society, media literacy, multimedia and broadcast journalism, and media, war and terrorism. Melki has been a broadcast and online journalist for over 12 years working with American and Arabic media. He was part of the Webby award and Press Club award winning Hot Zone team (Yahoo! News), covering the 2006 Israel-Lebanon war. He received his Ph.D. in journalism and media studies from the Phillip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland.
Asst. Professor, Journalism and Media Studies, Department of Sociology, Anthropology, and Media Studies, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
Journalism and Media Education Consultant, Jordan Media Institute.
Research Director, International Center for Media & the Public Agenda, University of Maryland. Visiting Faculty and Media Education Consultant, The Salzburg Academy for Media and Global Change, Salzburg, Austria.
Visiting Faculty, Johns Hopkins University and Towson University, USA. Since Fall 2006.
Ph.D., Journalism & Media Studies, University of Maryland, College Park, USA, 2008.
Master of Arts, Journalism & Mass Communication, Kent State University, USA, 2001.
Certificate IV in Television & Video Production, Metro Screen, Australia, 1998.
Bachelor of Sciences, Computer Science, University of Balamand, Lebanon, 1996.
Assistant Professor, American University of Beirut, Lebanon, Spring 2009 – current
Research Methods for Media Studies (Graduate), Digital Media Literacy (Undergraduate), Arab Media and Society (Graduate), Media and Society (Undergraduate), Broadcast Journalism (Undergraduate), Principles of Advertising (Undergraduate), Principles of Public Relations (Undergraduate), Media Theory and Research (Graduate), Multimedia Journalism (Undergraduate), Thesis (Graduate).
Visiting Faculty, Johns Hopkins University, Washington, DC, Fall 2007 – current
Research Methods and Writing in Mass Communication (Graduate), Essential Skills in Digital Media Literacy (Graduate), Thesis (Graduate).
Faculty, Salzburg Academy, Salzburg, Austria, July 29-August 19, 2007
A summer academy created by the Salzburg Global Seminar and ICMPA (University of Maryland)
- Taught sessions and moderated discussions on Global Media Literacy, Terrorism & Climate Change.
- Spent three weeks with 80 faculty and students from around the world developing curricula and concepts.
Visiting Faculty, Towson University, Towson, MD, Spring 2004 – Fall 2008
Research Methods in Mass Communication (Spring/Fall 2004/2005/2006) (Undergraduate), Media and Society (Spring 2006) (Undergraduate), Using Information Effectively in Mass Communication (Spring 2004/2005) (Undergraduate), Media Literacy (Spring/Fall 2005/2006) (Undergraduate), Media Coverage of War, Conflict and Terrorism (Summer/Winter 2007) (Undergraduate)
Faculty Researcher & Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, Fall 2003 - Spring 2006
Guest Lectured for several other courses on various topics, including: Qualitative & Quantitative Research Methods in Mass Communication, SPSS for Mass Communication, International Media, Intercultural Communication, Arab Media, Coverage of War, Conflict & Disasters.
RESEARCH AND CONFERENCE PAPERS:
Melki, Jad (2012). Incorporating In-Depth Research Methodologies and Digital Competencies with Media Literacy Pedagogies. In Paul Mihailidis (Ed.), Global News Literacy: Connecting Cultures through news theory and educational practice for global classroom. Mass Communication and Journalism series, Peter Lang.
Melki, Jad (Country Lead Author), Dabous, Yasmine, Nasser, Khaled, and Mallat, Sarah, (2012). Mapping Digital Media: Journalism, Democracy and Values (Lebanon). The Media Program at the Open Society Foundations. http://www.soros.org/initiatives/media/focus/mapping-digital-media
Coombe, William, and Melki, Jad (2012). Branding Dubai. Place Branding and Public Diplomacy, 8(1), 58-71.
Melki, Jad (2011). Lebanon. In, Global Report on the Status of Women in News Media. International Women’s Media Foundation.
Melki, Jad. (2010). Media Habits of MENA Youth: A three-country survey. The Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs, AUB Press.
Melki, Jad. (2010). The Plight of Media Education and Research in Arab Higher Education. In Chi-Kim Cheung (Ed.), Research in Media Education, New York: Nova Science Publishers.
Melki, Jad. (2009). Why Journalists Need to Learn About Trauma. Nieman Reports, Nieman Foundation of Journalism, Harvard.
Melki, Jad. (2009). Journalism and Media Studies In Lebanon. Journalism Studies, 10(5), 672-690.
Melki, Jad. (2008). Television News and the State in Lebanon, University of Maryland, Dissertation.
Melki, Jad, & Moeller, Susan. Covering War. Analyzing coverage of the summer 2006 Hezbollah-Israel war, International Center for Media & the Public Agenda, University of Maryland, July 30, 2007.
Melki, Jad, & Moeller, Susan. Media Transparency, A Study of transparency in Global Media Outlets,
International Center for Media & the Public Agenda, University of Maryland, June 12, 2007.
Melki, Jad, & Moeller, Susan. RSS, International News and Problems with the News Media’s RSS Feeds, International Center for Media & the Public Agenda, University of Maryland, May 2, 2007.
Melki, Jad, & McConnell, Herbert. Troops, Political Advertising Resource Center,
Center for Political Communication and Civic Leadership, University of Maryland, Sept. 28, 2004.
Melki, Jad, & McConnell, Herbert. Medicare Hypocrisy, Political Advertising Resource Center,
Center for Political Communication and Civic Leadership, University of Maryland, Sept. 24, 2004.
Melki, Jad, & McConnell, Herbert. Global Test, Political Advertising Resource Center,
Center for Political Communication and Civic Leadership, University of Maryland, Nov. 11, 2004.
Melki, Jad, & McConnell, Herbert. War on Terror Agenda, Political Advertising Resource Center,
Center for Political Communication and Civic Leadership, University of Maryland, Oct. 18, 2004.
In Press/Under review:
Melki, Jad (2012). Comparing Media Habits in Jordan, Lebanon, and the UAE. Special issue of the Westminster Papers in Communication and Culture (The role of social media in the Arab uprisings).
Melki, Jad, and Mallat, Sarah. Digital Activism in Lebanon. Exploring how civil society activists in Lebanon use social and digital media.
Melki, Jad, and Hitti, Eveline. Media Habits and Anabolic Steroid Use Among Lebanese Gym Goers. A survey of gym goes in the greater Beirut area.
Melki, Jad, and Dajani, Nabil. Media Education in the Arab World. A Q methodology study of Arab media studies faculty & their various approaches & curricula.
Melki, Jad, and Awad, Mariette. Arab Social Media Index. Analyzing and making sense of the Arab social-media sphere in light of the Arab spring uprisings.
Melki, Jad. Media as a Weapon of Guerilla Warfare: Hezbollah's use of media in the Lebanon-Israel war of summer 2006. A study analyzing Hezbollah's media strategies during its war with Israel in summer 2006.
Melki, Jad. Global Media Coverage of the Hezbollah-Israel War of Summer 2006. A three-year project that content analyzed newspapers, TV newscasts and Blogs from around the world.
Conference Papers, Invited Lectures & Workshops:
Media Education in Lebaonn, Arab Book Festival, Biel, Jan 2010.
US, Arab, and Isareli TV coverage of the 2006 war, CASAR conference Jan 2010.
Media Habits and Youth, IFI closed conference, March 2010.
News Habits of Arab Youth, WAN/IFRA, 4th Arab Free Press Conference, June, 2010.
Media Consumption and Production Habits of MENA Youth, IFI Symposium, July 2010.
New Directions in Global Media Education, Salzburg Global Seminar, Austria, August, 2010.
Arab Youth and Social Media Use, Internet Society (ISOC) Conference, Beirut, Oct 2010.
The Plight of Media Education in the Arab World, AUSACE Conference, Kuwait, Oct 2010.
International Media Development Donors Annual Meeting, Salzburg Global Seminar, Oct, 2010.
IBSAR Moderator, Social Networking and Natural Language, Oct 2010.
IBSAR Panelist, Media and the Environment, December 2010.
Education and Covering Trauma, Conflict and Terrorism, Media, War and Conflict Resolution Conference at BGSU, September 17-19, 2008.
Coverage of the Hezbollah-Israel war of Summer 2006, Media, War and Conflict Resolution Conference at BGSU, September 17-19, 2008.
Media Strategies in Crisis Management, The Second International Symposium in Crisis Management in Public Relations, Public Relations Research Institute, Tehran, Iran, December 3, 2006.
Modern Propaganda and Crisis Management, The Second International Symposium in Crisis Management in Public Relations, Public Relations Research Institute, Tehran, Iran, December 3, 2006.
Media as a weapon of guerilla warfare: Hezbollah's use of media in the Lebanon-Israel war of summer 2006, SAGE Conference for Media, War, and Conflict, April 2007.
Media Coverage of World News: An Obstacle to Conflict Resolution? Conference for Rethinking Conflict, Integrating the Global & the Local. An International Fulbright Workshop on conflict & conflict resolution, UMD, April 7-11, 2005.
Media Studies at Lebanese Universities, 2006 AEJMC Midwinter Conference, Feb 2006.
Paradigms of Media Studies and Democracy in Lebanon, 2006 AEJMC Midwinter Conference, Feb 2006.
Journalism, Objectivity and the Coverage of War.
Salzburg Seminar's Summer Program, Salzburg, Austria, August 10, 2006.
Propaganda Techniques used in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, Nahda Workshop on Media in Lebanon, summer 2005.
Works in Progress:
National and International Media systems, by Ray Hiebert.
- Due August, 2010.
- Two chapters in a book analyzing the political-economy of national media institutions around the world.
- The first chapter covers the media in Lebanon. The second chapter deals with Syria.
Exploring Mass Media for a Changing World, by Ray Hiebert.
- Due August 2010.
- A Second edition to this textbook which will adopt theories and techniques of Media Literacy.
Propaganda Techniques in Videos & Documentaries about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, by Jad Melki
- Presented at the Nahda Workshop on Media in Lebanon, summer 2005.
- Analyzing propaganda techniques in videos & documentaries addressing the Israeli-Palestinians conflict.
WORK EXPERIENCE: MEDIA CONSULTANT
Journalism Education Consultant, Jordan Media Institute, Amman, Jordan, Jan 2009 - current
- Developed curricula for a new Masters in new and broadcast journalism in Amman Jordan.
- Developed student admission criteria and served on admissions and faculty recruitment committees.
- Developed plan for newsroom management system, software and hardware systems used by the program.
Journalism Training, Covering Terrorism, Rabat and Casablanca Morocco, June 2009.
- Trained and conducted a workshop on covering terrorism and political violence for Moroccan journalists.
Journalists Survey, International Women’s Media Foundation (IWMF), Oct – Dec 2009.
- Conducted a survey of Lebanese journalists for IWMF.
Journalism and Media Education Consultant, Salzburg Academy, Salzburg Austria 2007-2010
- Created a curriculum for a summer academy on media literacy and global change along with Dr. Paul Mihailidis and Dr. Susan Moeller from the University of Maryland.
- Participated in the academy as a founding faculty and helped launch the program.
WORK EXPERIENCE: MEDIA MANAGER JOURNALIST
Faculty Research Assistant, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 2006 - current
- Working as Research Director of the International Center for Media and the Public Agenda.
- See "Current Job Titles" above.
Field Producer, Yahoo! News, 2006-2007 (hotzone.yahoo.com/)
- Covered the Lebanon-Israel war with Kevin Sites in the Hot Zone, a multimedia news project launched by Yahoo!
- Conducted interviews produced/dispatched news stories, photos and video from the war zones.
- Latest story: http://hotzone.yahoo.com/b/hotzone/blogs23989
Project Manager, the Salzburg Seminar, Jan-April 2006
- High-level planning and administration of a one-day workshop in Washington, DC.
- The workshop invited top media professionals & scholars to help craft the direction of the center's interest in media
Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 2003 - 2005
- Managing AASFE.org's web site for the American Association of Sunday and Feature Editors
News Producer, WTVR, CBS Affiliate, Richmond VA, 2001- 2003
- Managed and Produced the morning and noon newscasts in a metered market (58th market)
- Attended editorial meetings, chose stories, monitored wires and coordinated network communication.
- Generated rundowns, wrote scripts using AP News Center.
- Managed a production team, three live trucks, three anchors and two reporters from the Control Room.
News Producer (weekend), Abu-Dhabi TV, Washington DC Bureau, Sept 2001- June 2002
- Produced 20-minute live segments as part of a national newscast sent to Abu Dhabi via Satellite.
- Researched national and international news, coordinated communication, translated news and wrote Arabic scripts.
- Managed a 6-person production team and one reporter during the live Satellite segment.
Graduate Assistant, Kent State, Journalism & Mass Communication, Jan 1999 - June 2001
- Assisted in managing the Platypus Videographer Workshop 2000 along with Dirck Halstead and Rolf Behrens .
- Managed and maintained the nonlinear video editing lab systems.
- Developed CD-ROM and video streaming projects - The May 4th, 1970, shooting commemoration at Kent State.
- Wrote weekly columns for the Daily Kent Stater.
Master's Final Project, Nightline, ABCNEWS, Jan-June 2001
- Researched and presented a redesigned model for Nightline's Web site.
- Worked with Executive Producer Tom Bettag and Senior Producer Richard Harris on the project.
Production Staff, WHV (White House Video), Washington DC, summer 2000
- Live technical directing ( Grass Valley Switchers), AD, CG, sound, camera, teleprompter and video editing.
- Designed and executed a public relations campaign for the studio.
- Assisted in field news coverage, control room operations and satellite down-link connection.
Multimedia Producer/Web Designer, The Digital Journalist, Washington DC, summer 2000
- Redesigned the Digital Journalist's Web site using DreamWeaver and Flash.
- Offered consultation and training to the Digital Journalists' staff on new software for Web designing
Associate Producer/Editor, LBCSAT (Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation SAT), 1997-1998
- Assisted in the production of the evening and afternoon newscast
- Edited and produced news packages, voiceovers and other news sound bites, (linear and nonlinear editing)
- Pulled & reviewed feeds & archives for noon & evening newscasts, coordinated tapes for on-air playback.
LATEST NEWS AND OTHER PUBLICATIONS:
Why Journalists Need to Learn About Trauma, by Jad Melki, Nieman Reports, Nieman Foundation of Journalism at Harvard, Winter 2009.
- Source: http://www.nieman.harvard.edu/reports/onlineonlyitem.aspx?id=100014
Sites, K. (2007). In the Hot Zone: One Man, One Year, Twenty Wars. Harper Perennial (Pap/DVD ed.).
- Book Cover Photo.
- Video and photos for the DVD.
The Hot Zone, Yahoo! News: (hotzone.yahoo.com)
- Revisiting Bint Jbail: http://hotzone.yahoo.com/b/hotzone/blogs23989
- Lebanon Diary, Holding a Rock: http://hotzone.yahoo.com/b/hotzone/blogs8825
- Out of the Rubble: http://hotzone.yahoo.com/b/hotzone/blogs8044
- ICMPA: The Lebanon-Israel War: Media Lessons, Military Opportunities (icmpa.umd.edu):
HONORS & SCHOLARSHIPS/GRANTS:
American University of Beirut, Issam Fares Institute, research grant, 2009.
American University of Beirut, URB research grant, 2009.
Towson University, research grant, 2007.
International Center for Media and the Public Agenda, research grant, 2006.
Philip Merrill College of Journalism research grant, 2006.
Towson University Faculty Travel Grant, 2006.
Jacob K. Goldhaber Travel Award, 2006.
Jack Shaheen Mass Communication Scholarship for Arab-American Journalists, 2006.
Philip Merrill College of Journalism Graduate Student Travel Grant, 2005.
Philip Merrill College of Journalism Graduate Student Research Grant, 2004.
The Hiebert International Travel Award for Journalists, 2004.
Kappa Tau Alpha, Honor Society for Journalists Award, 2001.
Kent State University International Student Award, 2001.
Phi Beta Delta, Honor Society for International Scholars Award, 2000 & 2001.
Native Proficiency in Modern Standard Arabic and Levantine Colloquial Arabic
Native Proficiency in English
COMPUTER & TECHNICAL SKILLS:
Editing & Production: Avid Media Composer, Media 100, Final Cut Pro, Abekas, DVE, Premiere, Drako.
Applications: PhotoShop, Word, Fireworks, Excel, PowerPoint, SPSS
Extensive experience in Web designing concepts. Able to instantly master new computer applications.