Dr. Nabil Dajani is a professor of media studies at the Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences at the American University of Beirut. He received his Ph.D. from University of Iowa, USA.
1. Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Mass Communication, University of Iowa, USA, 1968.
2. Master of Arts (M.A.) in Sociology, American University of Beirut
3. Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Sociology, American University of Beirut
I. PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS
- Professor, Social & Behavioral Sciences Department, American University of Beirut, 1989-present.
- Chairperson, Social & Behavioral Sciences Department, American University of Beirut, 1988-1993, spring semester 1996-97, and July 1999- September 2001.
- Fulbright Visiting Scholar, Center for Contemporary Arab Studies, School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University, February-July, 2000
- Visiting Scholar, Centre for Mass Communication Research, Leicester University, (during sabbatical leave), spring semester 1985-86.
- Assistant Dean, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, AUB, 1979-1984, and summer 1987, and Associate Professor, 1979-89.
- Director, Mass Communication Program, AUB, 1974-1976, and Assistant Professor of Mass Communication, AUB, 1970-1979.
- Lecturer in Mass Communication, School of Journalism and Documentation, Lebanese University (Part-time), 1977-1980.
- Senior Consultant and Director, Talal Abu Ghazaleh and Associates, Kuwait, September 1976 -February 1977.
- Director of Information, American University of Beirut, 1964-1970.
- Public Relations Officer, American University of Beirut, 1963-1964.
- Assistant Development Officer, American University of Beirut, 1962-1963.
- Assistant to Vice President for University Relations, American University of Beirut, 1959-1962.
- Middle East News Editor, The Daily Star, 1960-1962 (night job).
II. PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
a. Membership in Professional Organizations
- Chairman of the Board and Founding Member, Arab Reporters for Investigative Journalism (ARIJ).
- Member of the Board, Centre for Media Freedom in the Middle East and North Africa (CMF MENA).
- Member, Advisory Council, International Resource Center for Democracy.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Communication for Social Change
- Member of Editorial Board, The Journal of Global Communication Research
- Member, Advisory Council, International Resource Center for Democracy.
- Member, Board of Trustees, International Center for Journalism-Information International Prize in Lebanese Investigative Reporting, 2000-present
- Member, International Board, International Association for Mass Communication Research, 1973-89.
- Member, Board of Trustees, Kamel Mroeh Foundation for the Promotion of Arab Journalism, 1973-1984.
- Member, UNESCO International Panel of Experts on Communication Research, 1971-75.
- Member, International Association for Mass Communication Research (member of its "international board" 1972-84) and member of "IAMCR in the 21st Century" task force, 1996-98.
- Member, International Communication Association.
- Member, International Institute of Communication.
- Contributing and Consulting Editor, Journal of Communication.
- Member, Panel of Advisors, International Encyclopedia of Communications.
- Member, Lebanese Family Planning Society.
- Member, Panel of Experts, Lebanese National Population Council
b. Consulting Work
Undertook consulting missions for:
- Government of Bahrain
- Government of Iraq
- Government of Kuwait
- Government of Lebanon
- Government of Qatar
- Government of Syria
c. Membership in University Committees
- University Senate, AUB, 1979-1985, 1986-1996 and 1997-2001.
- University Senate Steering Committee (chairperson, 1984-85, 1987-91, 1992-93 and 1997-98).
- University Task Force for the Unification of Faculty By-laws, chairperson
- University Senate Academic Development Committee
- University Senate Committee on Faculty Affairs, 1983-92, (chairperson, '83-85), and 1994-96.
- University Planning Committee.
- University Publications Committee.
- Arts & Sciences Ad Hoc Committee on Grading, chairperson, 1997
- Arts and Sciences Administrative Committee (chairperson, '79-85).
- Arts and Sciences Admissions Committee.
- Arts and Sciences Advisory Committee.
- Arts and Sciences Curriculum Committee.
- Arts and Sciences Scholarships Committee (chairperson, 76-77).
- Arts and Sciences Students Affairs Committee.
d. Membership in Civic Organizations:
- Chief Marshal, American University of Beirut, 1983-2000.
- President, Faculty Association, American University of Beirut, 1993 – 1996, and 2001-2002.
- Chairman, Parents Association, International College, 1982-84.
- General Secretary, Alumni Association, American University of Beirut, 1973-83.
I. BOOKS AND MONOGRAPHS
- 2006, Comparing Media from Around the World, with Robert McKenzie and Ian Weber, Allyn & Bacon.
- 1992, Disoriented Media in a Fragmented Society: The Lebanese Experience, American University Press, Beirut.
- 1985, Communication Policies in Lebanon (in Arabic), (with B. Eid), UNESCO, Paris.
- 1979, Lebanon, Studies in Broadcasting, International Institute of Communications, London.
- 2007 “ An Overview of Arab Development Communication”, forthcoming in The International Encyclopedia of Communication, B lackwell publishing.
- 2007, “The Media Situation in Lebanon,” (Arabic) chapter in Jayyusi, Lena (ed.), Media and Democracy, The Palestinian Institute for the Study of Democracy, forthcoming.
- 2007, “ The Re-feudalization of the Public Sphere: Lebanese Television News Coverage and the Lebanese Political Process”, forthcoming in a book edited by Prof. Peter Seeberg, the Danish Center for Contemporary Middle East Studies.
- 2007, “Family and Courting Relationships in the Soap Operas of Three Arab Countries,” (with D. Hakim), Journal of Social Affairs , forthcoming.
- 2007, “Onslaught on Freedom of Expression in Lebanon during the 2006 Israeli military incursion”, Article 19 report.
- 2007, “A Critical Reading of Arab Information” (in Arabic), chapter in 2004-2006 Saadeh Cultural Foundation Lectures.
- 2005, “Television in the Arab East,” in Wasko, Janet (ed.) A Companion to Television, Blackwell Publishing.
- 2004, “Media and Social Consciousness in a Lebanese Community”, Journal of Global Communication Research, December issue.
- 2003, “Terrorism in the Western Media” (in Arabic), al-Mustakbal al-Arabi, no. 291, vol. 26, April/May issue.
- 2003, “Status of the Media in Syria, Jordan, and Lebanon,” with O. Najjar, Encyclopedia of International Media and Communications,” Academic Press.
- 2002, “The role of the Lebanese media: who does the media really serve?”, Lebanon Journalism Review, Spring issue.
- 2001, “Freedom of Expression and Communication in Lebanon: Elite and Popular Press” , (in Arabic) Journal of the Social Sciences, Vol. 29, No. 4, Winter issue.
- 2001, “Lebanese Television: Caught Between Government and the Private Sector”, in Atkins, Joe (ed.) Journalism as a Mission: Ethics and Purpose from an International Perspective, Iowa State University Press.
- 2001, “The Changing Scene of Lebanese Television,” Transnational Broadcasting Studies Journal , No.7, Fall/Winter issue.
- 2001, “The Lebanese Media Scene” in Sreberny A. and Stevenson R.L., Mapping International News: Theory and Research, Hampton Press.
- 2000, “World News in the Lebanese Media,” (in Arabic) Bahithat, Volume 6.
- 1999, “Disparity between Public Interest and Money and Power,” (in Arabic) al-Mustakbal al-Arabi, no. 250, vol. 22, December issue.
- 1997, "The Cultural and Communication Dimension of the New World Order," (in Arabic), al-Mustakbal al-Arabi, no. 224, vol. 20, October issue.
- 1997, "Pros and Cons of the Lebanese Media," (in Arabic) Dirasat Arabiyyah, no. 11/12, September/October, vol. 33.
- 1996, “The Role of Television in the Lebanese Society”, (in Arabic) Al-Mustakbal al-Arabi, no. 208, vol. 19, June issue.
- 1995, “The Role of the Mass Media in the Popular Participation in the Reconstruction of the Central District of Beirut,” (in Arabic) in N. Beyhum, A. Salam, and J. Tabet, Manhajiet ‘Imar Beirut, Urban Research Institute and the Ford Foundation, Beirut.
- 1991, "The Crisis of Everyday Life in Beirut," Reconstruire Beyrouth, les paris sur le possible, La Maison de l'Orient University Press, Lyon.
- 1990, "Arab Information and the Palestinian Problem: A Look into the Future," (in Arabic) Palestinian Encyclopedia, Section II, Volume 4, Beirut.
- 1989, "The Analysis of the Press in Four Arab Countries", in The Vigilant Press, UNESCO, Paris.
- 1988, "A Critical View of Arab Communication Research," (in Arabic), Al-Buhuth quarterly, Arab Center for Research, Baghdad, November issue.
- 1986, "The Role of Communication in Preparing the Arab Individual for Development," (in Arabic), in: The Preparation of the Arab Mind for Scientific Contribution, Center for Arab Unity Studies, Beirut.
- 1985, "Mass Media Credibility and Social Responsibility: The Case of Lebanon," published in the Proceedings of the Seventh World Media Conference, Tokyo.
- 1985, "Mass Media in the Arab Middle East," (with Douglas Boyd) in Bertrand and Urabayen, World Media, Iowa State University Press.
- 1981, “A Critique of the MacBride UNESCO Report,” Al-Mustakbal al-Arabi, no. 30, vol. 4, August issue.
- 1980, "Mass Media and Social Consciousness in a Lebanese Community," in Halloran, J, (ed.) Communication in The Community, UNESCO, Paris.
- 1980, "The McBride Report: Perspective from the Middle East," in Hamelink, C. (ed.) Communication in the Eighties: A Reader on the McBride Report, IDOC International, Rome. Also in 1982 Mass Communication Review Yearbook, Vol. 3, Sage Publications, London.
- 1979, "The Challenges of the Communication Revolution on the Arab and International Fronts," (in Arabic), Al-Fikr Al-Arabi (Arab Thought Journal), Beirut, March-April issue. Also in: 1980 Communication Research in the Arab World, ALECSO, Cairo.
- 1979, "Foreign Experience in the Teaching of Mass Communication in the Arab World," (in Arabic), Journal of Social Sciences, Kuwait University, March issue.
- 1979, "The Development of Demand for Communication Graduates in the Arab World," (in Arabic), in The Modern Development of the Communication Sector, Lebanese University, Beirut.
- 1977, "Communication in the Service of National Development," (in Arabic), Journal of Social Sciences, Kuwait University, October issue.
- 1976, "Communication and Development: A Non-Western Outlook," in Readings in Extension and Communication: A Cross-Cultural Empirical Base for Planning Change, the Queens and University Press, Australia.
- 1975, "Pan Arab Advertising: its history and development," Arab Economist, February issue.
- 1975, "Press for Rent: The Situation in Lebanon," Journal of Communication , Spring issue.
- 1975, "Free Press or Freedom of the Press: The Dilemma of Developing Nations," published in the Proceedings of the Sixth Congress of the International Association of Mass Communication Research, Karl-Marx University, Leipzig.
- 1973, "Foreign News in the Arab Press," (with J. Donohue), Gazette, 19,3.
- 1973. "Media Exposure and Mobility in Lebanon," Journalism Quarterly, 2, 1973.
- 1972, "Policies and Plans Needed for the Mobilization of the Communication Sector in the Service of National Development," (in Arabic), Al-Abhath, American University of Beirut, Vol. No. 1. also in 1973, Sa'b, H., (ed.) The Strategy of the Scientific Revolution for the Mobilization of Arab Technology, Vol. 2, Naser Cultural Institute, Beirut.
- 1971, "The Press in Lebanon," Gazette, Vol. 17, No. 3, 1971.
- 1970, "Speech Education in Lebanon," (with Collins, J.), in Casmir and Harms, International Studies of National Speech Education Systems, Vol. 17, Burgess, Minneapolis.
- 1960, "Liberal-Traditional Attitudes Among Arab University Students," Middle East Forum, 36, 1.
Also contributed to numerous documents as well as reports prepared by UN and other international professional communication meetings.
Dr. Nabil Dajani, Professor of Media Studies