Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Electrical and Computer Engineering  - FEA
Q1: Students who have transferred from the old to the new programs are complaining that certain courses they have taken are not showing on their graduation evaluation page:

     A1: To adjust your evaluation, students must contact Mrs. Rabab Abi Shakra in person

Q2: Is EECE 410L is a prerequisite for the FYP if they are on the old Program?

     A2: EECE 410L is a prerequisite for the FYP for students on the new program. 

Q3: Students have heard that if they are in the new ECE program, they need to focus in the Power Track area in order for their AUB BE degree to be recognized by the Syndicate of Engineers. Is this true?
     A3:  No.  The Syndicate of Engineers considers only the degree

Q4: Can students in the new CCE program who take at least two courses in a focus area in the ECE program claim that area as a Focus Area?

      A4:  Yes.  According to the requirements of the program, two courses in every area will meet the requirement.  It is advisable to take more courses in a given area.

Q5: The focus areas will be listed on transcripts. Please verify.
     A5:  Focus areas are not listed on the transcript.

Q6: Students are wondering/questioning how the Robotics track requires two 400-level ECE courses (plus one lab) and 3 600-level ME courses! They will need to deal with the prerequisites of those courses themselves…

     A6: All of these courses require only EECE460 as prerequisite or the approval of the course instructor.

Q7: I was transferred to the ECE department in the fall 2012-2013 as a second year. Am I in the old program or the new program.
     A7:  All transfer students who joined the department as of the fall term 2012-2013 must follow the new programs.

Q8: Criteria for increasing capacity in courses.

     A8:  To increase a capacity in a given section, student must contact the instructor of the course whose in turn is required to email the department of her/his approval.

Q9: Availability of Advanced Courses: students felt they can’t always find offered the advanced courses they want to take.

     A9:  This is a function of availability of faculty and demand. Students interested in taking a given course should contact the department before the registration period.

Q10: Averages and Raise

    A10: All undergraduate courses should have an average between 70 and 80.  

Q11:  What is the link for graduation requirement website


Q12:  Can students propose an FYP project to an advisor?

    A12: The FYP projects are normally proposed by the advisor but students can suggest a topic to a faculty member.

Q13: Questions on the choice of advisor in FYP.

A13: Matching between students and advisors is done through the FYP website at the beginning of the Fall semester.

 Q14: What do we do if 3 final exams are scheduled during the same day.

 A14: Students must contact the registrar’s office as soon as the first version is posted.

Q15: The minimum grade to transfer a course from a university in the US (Berkley).

A15: This is a university rule and the minimum accepted grade to transfer a course from a US institution is “C”.

Q16: The website ( does not reflect the cases of transfer students.

A16: In these cases, student must contact Mrs. Rabab Abi Shakra to adjust their evaluations.

Q17: The website ( does not show MCOM courses as Social Science Electives.

A17: Student must contact Mrs. Rabab Abi Shakra to adjust her/his evaluation.

Q18:  What are the prerequisite courses?

A18:  The perquisite for courses is listed in the University catalogue or Student undergraduate manual under course description
EECE 321 Computer Organization 3 cr:
This course covers the organization of modern computer systems. In addition to learning how to program computers at the assembly level, students learn how to design the main components of a von Neumann computer system, including its instruction set architecture, data path, control unit, memory system, input/output interfaces, and system buses. To consolidate the material presented in class, students work on assembly-language programming and data path design assignments, and a major computer interfacing project. Prerequisites: - EECE 320.

Q19:  Can students use a box where we can ask questions and have them answered.

A19:  Students should contact their academic advisors concerning any issues related to academic matters

Q20:  Is there a program that helps us select our courses.

A20:  Students are recommended to follow the recommended course sequences available at:
For CCE students:
For ECE students:

Q21: How to plan a semester schedule if a student begins in spring.

A21: Students joining the ECE department in the spring term must contact the Chairperson of the ECE department for course planning.

Q22: Is it possible not to take a major EECE course in the summer.

A22:  Yes.  

Q23: A guide to the required and recommended courses per semester.

A23: Students are recommended to follow the recommended course sequences available at:
For CCE students:
ECE students:

Q24: Some tips, which courses to take and when.

    A24:  Students must discuss these issues with their academic advisor

Q25:  More details regarding Social Science and Humanities electives

A25:  Student must always check the Registrar’s website at the following link

Q26: Information about the different possible minors

A26:  Check the following link

Q27: Details about AUB courses

    A27: See University Undergraduate Catalogue

Q28: The link to the online petition website.


Q29:  EECE 370 is not required for CCE, but some CCE students already took it.”

    A29:  Departmental decision:  It will be considered as a required elective (EECE 470)

Q30:  If summer training could be arranged separately?

    A30: They can be arranged, but student should petition the EUAC for approval, and should include a letter from the company stating its profile, and that the training will be for 8 weeks, preferably with starting and ending dates.

Q31: Graduate courses taken as technical electives, if their credits could be transferred to the ME program requirements?

    A31:  At moment, if courses taken as overload, then up to 9 credits could be transferred to the ME load. The faculty is also working a new proposal.

Q32: Why need to take so many general education courses?

    A32: It helps expose students to topics and areas which help broaden their knowledge and improve their skills. Students are encouraged to choose their general education courses wisely based on their interests.

Q33: Is the ECE degree more recognized internationally than the CCE degree?

    A33: Both degrees are recognized equally at the local, regional, and international levels. Both programs are ABET accredited

Q34: Why is ABET accreditation important?

    A34: ABET is highly important for the Department to implement continuous assessment and evaluation plans to keep improving and evolving the undergraduate programs. It is also important for students as quality recognition for their degrees; moreover, ABET accreditation might be needed to facilitate seeking certain job or graduate studies opportunities internationally. 

Q35: Does the focus area show on the student’s transcript or degree?

    A35: No, it will not appear on the degree or transcript. The students can, however, include their focus area in their CVs.

Q36: Which major or focus area to choose?

    A36: Simply follow your interests: “There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but the view is always the same”.

Q37: If we decide to audit a course, is this allowed? What is the procedure? Can we get a certificate at the end of the course?

    A37: Those who wish to attend individual classes without receiving credit may register as auditors.

The student should:
• secure approval from the instructor of the course.
• receive approval from the dean of the faculty/school offering the course.
• pay the tuition charge at the Comptroller’s Office (student accounts section).
• register as an auditor at the Office of the Registrar.

The course will appear on student transcript with no grades.
Applicants are not eligible to audit laboratory, studio, or seminar courses.

Q38: Will EECE499 count as one of the two UG elective courses?

A38: Yes, it does.

Q39: Concerning technical electives, why can’t a student take more than two courses from the same department?

    A39: For breadth to encourage students select courses from different departments.

Q40: Is it better to do an internship in a company or a university?

    A40: Both are good.  University Internship is usually for students interested to applying to graduate programs at this university.

Q41: Can work on FYP topics with students from other engineering departments?

    A41: Yes, you are actually encouraged to work on design projects that require the cooperation of students with different backgrounds and areas of expertise.

Q42: Why can’t courses like ECON 211 and ECON 212 is considered as technical electives, given that introductory courses of the same level are allowed from the School of Business? These courses are important for students seeking a minor degree in economics.

    A42: Other courses in Economics are considered to assist students seeking a minor in Economics.

Q43: How do I know which English course I must take?

A43: English courses are determined based on the SAT writing score.

  • If you were placed in English 102, you must take English 102, then 203 and then 206.
  • If you were placed in English 203, you must take English 203 and English 206
  • If you were placed in English 204, you must take English 206 and any other English course of a higher level except English 208
Contact us Jobs Disclaimer Copyright Non-Discrimination/Title IX