The Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS) of the American University of Beirut currently seeks for its Center for Research on Population and Health (CRPH) an Associate Director who will actively contribute to strengthening its multidisciplinary research portfolio, raising resources for research, conducting quality research, and facilitating collaborative research initiatives.
The mission of CRPH is to support research on issues at the intersection of population and health, in Lebanon, Arab countries, and internationally, and to disseminate findings to scientists, policymakers, and the public. The Center has led a multi-disciplinary research program that has included projects on reproductive health, youth, tobacco control, and mental health, and seeks to expand to new areas of research, and to strengthen comparative research in the Arab region and beyond. Members and affiliates of the Center are epidemiologists, physicians, and social scientists who combine expertise in particular public health issues with a concern for how new evidence can contribute to policies and interventions to improve health.
The ideal candidate will have a doctorate in a discipline relevant to public health, knowledge of global health and population issues, active engagement in field research in multiple settings, demonstrated abilities to conduct and write up research in refereed journals, and methodological competence covering a range of quantitative approaches including surveys (qualitative research a plus). In addition, the candidate will have experience with proposal writing and project implementation, and demonstrated success in securing competitive research funding. The Associate Director will report to the Director of the Center (Professor Carla Makhlouf Obermeyer) and will be affiliated as an Assistant/Associate (Research) Professor with one of the Departments.
The Faculty of Health Sciences where the Center is based includes Departments of Epidemiology and Population Health, Health Promotion and Community Health, Health Management and Policy, and Environmental Health. Its Graduate Public Health Program is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Interested candidates should submit their applications (a complete curriculum vitae; statement of research interests; and contact information for three referees) to Dean Iman Nuwayhid and copied to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Applications may be submitted by regular mail to:
Iman Nuwayhid, Dean,
Faculty of Health Sciences,
American University of Beirut,
3 Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, 8th Floor,
New York, NY 10017-2303.
Fax in Beirut +961-1-744470
Review of applications will start on April 2, 2013 and will continue until the position is filled. Early availability preferred.
The American University of Beirut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Full-Time Research Assistant
The Faculty of Health Sciences at AUB has a dedicated Communications Unit which manages the faculty website and 4 sub-sites, a newsletter, press coverage releases, events, seminar series, brochures, and policy briefs. A full-time research assistant is needed to assist the Unit in the above tasks.
1. Assist in the management and production of publications, (including soliciting bids from designers and printers.)
2. Assist in managing websites (including preparing documents for uploading.)
3. Assist in organizing PR events (such as conferences, seminars, training workshops, and receptions.)
4. Assist in writing press releases.
5. Assist in updating and managing mailing lists.
6. Assist in collecting and archiving photos.
5. Perform other relevant tasks or duties as needed.
1. Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 1 year experience working in communication. Master’s degree and work experience are a plus.
2. Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and in Arabic. (French is a plus).
3. Solid knowledge of software applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access (Photoshop and InDesign/Illustrator are a plus)
4. Willingness to learn to use website management software tool
Interested applicants are kindly requested to send their CVs with 2 letters of reference to: Ms. Hala Dimechkie, Communications Coordinator
Deadline for receipt of applications is Monday, May 20, 2013 for a starting date of Monday, June 3, 2013.