Health Policies and Ethics
Useful Books and References
- Beauchamp, Tom L., et al., eds. 2008. The Human Use of Animals: Case Studies in Ethical Choice. 2nd ed. Oxford University Press.
- Bebeau, Muriel J., et al. 1995. Moral Reasoning in Scientific Research: Cases for Teaching and Assessment.
Poynter Center for the Study of Ethics and American Institutions.
- Bulger, Ruth Ellen, Elizabeth Heitman, and Stanley Joel Reiser, eds. 2002. The Ethical Dimensions of the Biological and Health Sciences. 2nd ed. Cambridge University Press.
- Elliott, Deni, and Judy E. Stern, eds. 1997. Research Ethics: A Reader. University Press of New England. Stern and Elliott,The Ethics of Scientific Research.
- Erwin, Edward, Sidney Gendin, and Lowell Kleiman, eds. 1994. Ethical Issues in Scientific Research:An Anthology. Garland Publishing.
- Fleddermann, Charles B. 2007. Engineering Ethics. 3rd ed. Prentice Hall.
- Fluehr-Lobban, Carolyn. 2002. Ethics and the Profession of Anthropology: Dialogue for Ethically Conscious Practice. AltaMira Press.
- Grinnell, Frederick. 1992. The Scientific Attitude. 2nd ed. Guilford Publications.
- Grinnell, Frederick. 2008. Everyday Practice of Science: Where Intuition and Passion Meet Objectivity and Logic. Oxford University Press.
- Harris, Charles E., Jr., Michael S. Pritchard, and Michael J. Rabins. 2008. Engineering Ethics: Concepts and Cases. 4th edition. Wadsworth Publishing Company.
- Hay, Ian, and Mark Israel. 2006. Research Ethics for Social Scientists: Between Ethical Conduct and Regulatory Compliance. SAGE Publications, Limited.
- Institute of Medicine. 2002. Integrity in Scientific Research: Creating an Environment That Promotes Responsible Conduct. National Academies Press.
- Johnson, Deborah G. 2008. Computer Ethics. 4th ed. Prentice Hall PTR.
- Korenman, Stanley G., and Allan C. Shipp. 1994. Teaching the Responsible Conduct of Research through a Case Study Approach: A Handbook for Instructors. Association of American Medical Colleges.
- Loue, Sana. 2000. Textbook of Research Ethics: Theory and Practice. Springer.
- Macrina, Francis L. 2005. Scientific Integrity: Text and Cases in Responsible Conduct of Research. 3rd ed. ASM Press.
- Miller, David J., and Michel Hersen, eds. 1992. Research Fraud in the Behavioral and Biomedical Sciences. John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated.
- Murphy, Timothy F. 2004. Case Studies in Biomedical Research Ethics. MIT Press.
- National Academy of Sciences. 2009. On Being a Scientist: A Guide to Responsible Conduct in Research. 3rd edition. National Academy Press.
- Oliver, Paul. 2003. The Students’ Guide to Research Ethics. McGraw-Hill Education.
- Penslar, Robin Levin, ed. 1995. Research Ethics: Cases and Materials. Indiana University Press
- Pimple, Kenneth D., ed. 2008. Research Ethics. Ashgate Publishing, Limited.
- Resnik, David B. 1998. The Ethics of Science: An Introduction. Routledge.
- Seebauer, Edmund G., and Robert L. Barry. 2000. Fundamentals of Ethics for Scientists and Engineers. Oxford University Press.Seebauer, Edmund G.. 2000. Instructor’s Manual for Fundamentals of Ethics for Scientists and Engineers. Oxford University Press. Shamoo, Adil E., and David B. Resnik. 2009. Responsible Conduct of Research. Oxford University Press.
- Shrader-Frechette, Kristin S. 1994. Ethics of Scientific Research. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
- Sigma Xi. 1999. Honor in Science. Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society.
- Sigma Xi. 1999. The Responsible Researcher: Paths and Pitfalls. Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society.
- Steneck, Nicholas H. 2005. ORI Introduction to the Responsible Conduct of Research. Revised ed. DIANE Publishing Company.
- Elliott and Stern, eds., Research Ethics: A Reader. Vitelli, Karen D., and Chip Colwell-Chanthaphonh, eds. 2006. Archaeological Ethics. Materials. Indiana University Press
- AIDS vaccines: immune to quick success," by Jeffrey Kahn
- “A University Wide Model for the Ethical Review of Human Subjects Research” Research Ethics Review 1(2): 39-44.
- "Conflict of interest in research, education and patient care", Trudo Lemmens, Peter A. Singer, CMAJ 1998;159:960-5.
- "Continuing review of approved research by Canadian Research Ethics Boards". Weijer C. Canadian Medical Association Journal 2001,164:1305-1308.
- "Disclosure in research ethics," Howard Mann, CMAJ, September 17, 2002; 167 (6)
- "Disclosure in research ethics," Lorraine E. Ferris, CMAJ, September 17, 2002; 167 (6)
- Editorial by Henry B. Dinsdale, President of NCEHR (National Council on Ethics in Human Research)
- "The ethical analysis of risk." Weijer C. Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics 2000, 28: 344-361.
- "The ethics wars: disputes over international research." Weijer C, Anderson JA. Hastings Center Report 2001, 31(3): 18-20.
- "Guinea Pig Soldiers?" by Jeffrey Kahn
- "Higher Standards for Privately Funded Health Research," by Chris MacDonald
- "Industry-sponsored pharmaceutical trials and research ethics boards: Are they cloaked in too much secrecy?" Lorraine E. Ferris, CMAJ, May 14, 2002; 166 (10)
- Informed Consent, Confidentiality and the Law: Implications of the Tri-Council Policy Statement, by Ted Palys and John Lowman
- "Pharmacoethics: Unblinding a clinical trial for individual gain," by Seymour Katz, Robert V. DiGregorio, Amy Wong, Alicia Williams and Florence Singh
- "Placebos: Deceptive benefits," by Jeffrey Kahn
- "Placebo trials and tribulations," by Charles Weijer
- Research ethics (Bioethics for clinicians 10) by Weijer C, Dickens B, Meslin E. Canadian Medical Association Journal 1997; 156: 1153-1157.
- "Shopping for clinical trials: NewNIH Web site raises ethical issues," by Jeffrey Kahn
- "Sugar pills vs medicine: The ethics behind placebo-controlled trials," by Chris MacDonald (Parkhurst Exchange, January 2002)
- "Too Old to Benefit? Why are so Few Seniors in Cancer Research?" by Jeffrey Kahn
- "The Tri-Council Policy Statement on Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans" (comments by Michael McDonald,co-chair of the Tri-Council Working Group that authored the document upon which the TCPS is based)
- "Using Short Writing Assignments in Teaching Research Ethics", by Kenneth D. Pimple
- "Using Small Group Assignments in Teaching Research Ethics," by Kenneth D. Pimple
- "Why clinical equipoise, and not the uncertainty principle, is the moral underpinning of the RCT". Weijer C, Glass KC,Shapiro S. British Medical Journal 2000; 321: 756-758.
- Jegede, Ayodele S, Understanding informed vonsent for participation in International Health Research; Developing World Bioethics,Volume 9, Number 2, August 2009, pp. 81-87 (can be accessed via the AUB libraries).
Codes and Laws