From its very inception in 1866, the American University of Beirut has been a profoundly international and intercultural institution: chartered in New York, yet located in the Near East; based on the American liberal arts model of higher learning, yet also offering professional training to enrich the lives of its diverse peoples and to prepare generations of leaders across the region.
The Office of International Programs, founded in 2010 and reporting directly to the Provost, has been created to build upon this rich history and to further the mission of the University. As the central, coordinating office for international education exchange, OIP serves the AUB community and enhances the academic mission in the following specific ways:
- By facilitating international academic cooperation at the student level between AUB and the rest of the scholarly world;
- By providing visible and effective support systems for incoming international and visiting students and outgoing study abroad participants;
- By overseeing North American recruitment, and collaborating fruitfully with the Admissions Office in other world regions to enhance the global diversity of the student body;
- By providing a central clearinghouse for the management of policies, procedures and documents related to all of the above;
- and by maintaining an office which is at the cutting edge of global best practice and scholarship as regards the professional field of International Education.