Board of Trustees
Daniel Bliss was an ambitious missionary hailing from Vermont who came to Lebanon on a mission trip with his wife, Abby.
Syrian Protestant College (later renamed the American University of Beirut in 1920) was founded by Daniel Bliss in 1866.
William E. Dodge was a wealthy New York businessman who had cofounded a lucrative metals-importing firm.
Daniel Bliss met William E. Dodge in 1862 at a presentation Bliss was giving to the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions in New York.
Dodge was so impressed by Bliss that he helped him form a board of trustees for the burgeoning University.
A charter for establishing the college was granted by the legislature of the State of New York in 1963.
The Board of Trustees was also officially established in 1863 with William A. Booth as its first Chair.
Before 1919 University affairs in New York City, board meetings or otherwise, were conducted out of the offices of the chairman of the Board of Trustees.
In 1919, a New York office is established at 18 East 41st Street. It shares space with the Near East College Association (NECA), which includes The Constantinople Women's College and Robert's College, Constantinople. The office is headed by Albert W. Staub.
In the 1930s, the office shares services and space with the NECA and moves to 50 West 50th Street.
In 2003 AUB purchases the condominium at 3 Dag Hammarskjold Plaza (aka 305 East 47th Street), and in 2005, it names the office in honor of Dr. Richard A. Debs, Chairman of the Board of Trustees (1995-2005). Eileen F. O'Connor is the first director of the office under its new name, the Debs Center.
AUB New York office still resides in the Debs Center today where we host annual Board of Trustees meetings to this day.