Research Assistant - Inclusion of older Syrian refugees in the humanitarian response in Lebanon
The Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, Faculty of Health Sciences at the American University of Beirut is seeking a full-time Research Assistant to work on a cross-sectional study to assess the needs of older Syrian refugees and the extent of their inclusion in the humanitarian response in Lebanon.
Job title: Research Assistant
Length of contract: 18 months (including a three month probation period).
Start date: Immediately (December 2020)
Project details: This is a RECAP grant-funded project to assess the extent of inclusion of older Syrian refugees in the humanitarian response in Lebanon. The study will include a quantitative cross-sectional study design where data are collected from older Syrian refugees in informal tented settlements (ITSs) and hosted communities in the North and Bekaa areas. The project has three main objectives:
- Identify unmet needs of older Syrian refugees in the the health, WaSH, nutrition and food security sectors, with protection as an overarching principle.
- Develop and field test metrics to assess the extent of inclusion of older Syrian refugees in the humanitarian response services, from a beneficiary perspective, as well as the relevance and appropriateness of these services.
- Inform policy and practice within the humanitarian sphere to build recognition of the distinct needs of older people affected by humanitarian crises.
- Assist in project management.
- Collaborate and work effectively with AUB faculty and staff, NGO staff and project consultants to ensure the timely delivery of key project milestones and high-quality outputs.
- Oversee data collectors and provide data quality reports for AUB research team.
- Lead on the data management and cleaning of datasets.
- Analyze data under research team supervision.
- Produce statistical outputs, tables and visualizations of findings.
- Develop and deliver both written and visual outputs, including reports and PowerPoint presentations, that are appropriate for different stakeholders.
- Assist in the writing of academic manuscripts.
- Hold a master's level degree or soon graduating from a quantitative discipline such as epidemiology, biostatistics or anthropology.
- Interest in refugee health and basic knowledge of the humanitarian system is essential.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Arabic.
- Administrative communication skills.
- Organizational, teamwork and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work pro-actively and independently.
- Preferably proficient with statistical software such as STATA or SPSS, and expertise in statistical data analysis and data management.
- Have previous research experience with refugees.
- Experienced in electronic data collection tools e.g. Kobotoolbox.
Please send your CV, contact details for two references, and a brief (350-500 words) cover letter outlining how you meet each of the essential and desirable competencies to Ms. Sarah Al-Omari (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please use the following words in the subject line of the email: “Research Assistant Application". Applications will be reviewed immediately, and applicants who meet the essential competencies will be selected for an interview. The post will be filled as soon as a suitable applicant is identified.
Postdoctoral Fellow needed in the Department of Experimental Pathology, Immunology and Microbiology
The laboratory of Dr. Margret Shirinian at the American University of Beirut is currently seeking a highly motivated Postdoctoral Fellow to join the lab. We employ a variety of techniques, including Drosophila genetics, behavioral assays, confocal microscopy, and brain imaging, to understand the role of the epigenome in brain development, glial cell differentiation and function. We are particularly interested in DNA methylation and histone modifications and their role in neurodevelopment. The successful candidate will also have opportunities to develop their own research projects within the scientific interests of the laboratory.
Well-qualified applicants who have earned a PhD in Neurobiology, Neuroscience, Molecular Biology or a related field, including current doctoral students who expect to earn their PhD degree by January 1, 2021 are invited to apply. Other qualifications include:
• A good track record of publications.
• Strong critical thinking.
• Good communication and writing skills.
• Previous experience in confocal microscopy and live brain imaging is desirable.
• Previous experience in Drosophila genetics is desirable.
• Previous research experience with Drosophila neurobiology is also desirable but not essential.
• Experience in bioinformatics is desirable but not essential.
• Ability to supervise students and administer classes is desirable.
Full Time/Part Time
Full-Time; 6 month- renewable Post-Doctoral position
Interested applicants may send their CV along with 2 referee names and their email addresses to email@example.com
Research Assistant needed in the Chemistry Department
Research Assistant to work on a Fractals project in Chemistry (theoretical). Computer Science or Engineering background (working student). Knowledge of Mathematica or Matlab is a plus. Please contact Dr. R. Sultan: firstname.lastname@example.org
Within the framework of Lebanese Law, the American University of Beirut is an equal opportunity employer.