The AUB Libraries aim to provide a pleasant and stimulating environment for intellectual and academic pursuits. All patrons of the AUB Libraries are entitled to conduct study, research, reading and other intellectual activities without undue disturbance and distraction from other users.
Policies for appropriate library conduct aim to safeguard and foster an environment of mutual respect and of productive scholarly research.
Librarians in public services areas are in charge of overseeing that library users are abiding by the Library rules of conduct. When any violation occurs, the librarians have the prerogative to stop or report violator(s) of the rules listed below.
- Follow all library rules posted in the form of signs in the different areas of the Library.
- Keep noise to a minimal level, so that other students are not disturbed. Silent as well as group study areas are available. Please use the area that best suits your needs.
- Don’t leave your belongings unattended at any time. The Library is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- The reservation of seats in public reading areas is not permitted; items on reserved seats may be removed by library staff.
- Bottled water is allowed in the Library; other drinks and food are not allowed.
- Help keep the Library clean and tidy by using the appropriate bins and recycling facilities.
- Show your AUB ID card in order to be able to borrow library items. You must not allow anyone else to use your AUB ID card to access the Library and borrow materials.
- Assume full responsibility for all items borrowed on your card, returning or renewing them on time and responding promptly to any library notices: do not transfer or lend items borrowed on your card to others.
- Handle Library books and other materials with care and respect. Library items should not be written on, defaced, tempered with or torn.
- Abide by the copyright law and policies posted on the library webpage and next to photocopiers in the Library.
- Take good care of library equipment, furniture, and facilities. Abstain from engaging in any act of vandalism, including defacing or writing on library walls, furniture or equipment.
- Never enter areas designated as staff working areas, unless by appointment.
- Ask for permission if you wish to post an announcement on one of the library bulletin boards.
- The Library has a security barrier to monitor circulation of library items. Activation of the alarm may result in searching bags.
Libraries' Rights & Duties
The Library reserves the right to:
- Ask any violator of the rules stated above to stop their disruptive behavior; upon unwillingness to comply with verbal warnings, a user may be asked to leave the Library premises.
- Call the University Protection Office if a library user is resisting staff instructions to abide by the Library rules.
- Contact the Dean of Students if the library user is a student and is in a serious and deliberate violation of the library rules.
- Bill the library user for lost/missing/mutilated/defaced items, including a processing fee.
- Revoke library privileges in cases of serious offenses and violations.