The American University of Beirut conducts university affairs through policies consistent with applicable laws, its Principles of Ethical Conduct
, and accepted best practices. The process of policy management and development must meet university standards for legal compliance, consistency among policies, and accessibility to the university community.
Process for developing a new policy
If you are developing a new policy document, you should:
- Undertake benchmarking with international peer universities. A list of these universities is available in the Guide to developing AUB Policies;
- Conduct consultations with key policy stakeholders and/or subject-matter experts/specialists such as faculty/staff subject-matter experts, legal counsel (U.S. and Lebanese), Office of Financial Planning, Internal Audit, or others as needed. Consultation with appropriate faculty and/or student representative bodies is required for policies that affect faculty, students, and or the research/education/student services functions of the University, even if the policy is not categorized as Academics and Research or Student Life. Consultation with the Office of Financial Planning (OFP) is required if there is a financial impact related to the policy change and/or additional resources required for implementation;
- Draft the new policy by using the appropriate AUB Policies Template;
- Follow the instructions in the Guide to developing AUB Policies and the AUB Style Guide;
- Submit a Request Form to the Policies and Procedures Review Committee (PPRC);
- The PPRC will contact you to schedule a meeting during which you will discuss your policy with the Committee.
Process for amending, replacing or revoking an existing policy
If you wish to amend, replace or revoke an existing policy, you should submit a Request Form
to the Policies and Procedures Review Committee. The PPRC will contact you to schedule a meeting during which you will discuss your request with the comity. If you are requesting to make minor amendments that do not otherwise affect the policy content, the PPRC will review you request and if approved, the changes will be systematically implemented without calling you for a meeting.
For any inquiry regarding developing, replacing amending, replacing or revoking a policy you can contact AUB Polices at firstname.lastname@example.org