|Advisory Committee:||AbdelMegeed, Maha; Harb, Sirene; Jarrar, Maher; Makdisi, Saree (UCLA) |
The Anis Makdisi Program in Literature (AMPL) was inaugurated in October 2002.
The AMPL promotes and supports interdisciplinary dialogue and different approaches in the study of literature following the tradition initiated by Anis K. Makdisi. The aim of this program is to encourage and develop scholarly interest in the humanities in general and in literature in particular, and to foster intellectual exchange among members of different departments, students, and visiting scholars.
Program activities include:
- an annual Anis K. Makdisi memorial lecture by a leading scholar in literature or a noted author of poetry or prose. All lectures are published by the program.
- a series of seminars on various issues and topics in literature and cultural studies offered by local, regional, and international scholars, novelists, and artists. The primary aim of the seminars is to enrich the study and the teaching of literature at AUB by providing wide discussion forums.
- informal gatherings (lectures, discussions, colloquia) as a venue for scholarly debate for the academic community in Beirut.
The Program offers two scholarships every year:
- The Anis K. Makdisi Graduate Fellowship to support graduate studies in literature at AUB
- The Anis K. Makdisi Scholarship in Literature for undergraduate studies