|Director:||El Mouhayar, Rabih|
|Professors:||BouJaoude, Saouma; Jurdak, Murad |
|Associate Professors:||Amin, Tamer; El Mouhayar, Rabih; Khishfe, Rola; Osman, Enja|
The overall mission of the Science and Mathematics Education Center is four-fold:
- to conduct and support quality research on the teaching and learning of science and mathematics at the pre-school, elementary, and secondary levels,
- to contribute to the development of quality science and mathematics teaching and research professionals,
- to design and provide ongoing professional development for science and mathematics teachers in Lebanon and abroad,
- and to effect a positive influence on the quality and status of school science and mathematics education locally, regionally, and internationally.
The Center currently accomplishes its mission through the performance of a variety of functions including, but not limited to:
- designing and teaching science and mathematics education courses for pre-service teachers and master’s level graduate students in cooperation with the Department of Education,
- designing and conducting research on teaching, learning, and teacher professional development in science and mathematics,
- designing and developing instructional materials in science and mathematics for students and teachers,
- maintaining a current science and mathematics curriculum library for use by pre-service and in-service teaching professionals,
- providing outreach consultation in science and mathematics education for schools, institutions, and governments regarding curriculum design, the design of instructional environments, methods of evaluation, and professional development for teachers, and
- providing in-service professional development for teachers and subject-matter coordinators through special courses, workshops, institutes, conferences, or through participation in professional development initiatives sponsored by AUB or other institutions and organizations.