The SHARP master degree is a natural continuation of the summer diploma. It builds on the foundations/credits acquired in the summer diploma program, which are pre-requisites and constitute an inherent part of the master degree. It adds more required courses, electives, and the thesis.
After completing the SHARP Summer Diploma, students will complete the degree requirements that include additional required core courses and a mentored NCD research project culminating in a thesis. In compliance with AUB requirements, students will also sit for a zero credit comprehensive exam (pass/fail) course in their last semester. The Master’s program can be completed in one to two years.
The total number of allowable credits per semester is 16 credits/semester unless otherwise approved by the Graduate Committee Studies.
Training Program Curriculum
SHARP Summer Diploma Courses(Required)
Total 12 credits
Principles of Epidemiology
Design & Analysis of Epidemiological Studies
Introduction to Research Ethics and RCR
Analysis and Reporting of Large Clinical Datasets I
Total 23 credits
Design and Analysis of Clinical Trials
Clinical Trial Protocol
Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
Public Health Policy and Advocacy
Leadership and Behavior in Organizations
Advances in Non-communicable Disease Research
SHARP labeled courses were specifically developed for the
SHARP Training Program
SHARP will be abiding by
General University Academic Information
, in which to be eligible for graduation with a Master’s degree from the American University of Beirut, a graduate student:
- must have attained a cumulative course average of 80 or above.
- is not placed on probation by the time the course work is completed.
- must have completed the minimum credit hours of course work designated by the specific program.
- must have passed comprehensive exam.
- must have completed thesis requirements for thesis option degrees.
- must have completed project requirements for the non-thesis option degrees.
- must have met the residence requirements specified for the Master’s degree.