Ladybug Hotel Competition
The AUB Botanic Garden, of the American University of Beirut, is hosting a Ladybug Hotel Design Competition to install ladybug hotels across the campus and support AUB campus’ ecological diversity within a densely concrete urban environment. Anyone interested in applying can find more information in the registration section below.
Habitat Hotels or Bug Hotels: What are they?
Habitat hotels are designed to create ideal nesting sites for small creatures, whether to hibernate, lay eggs, or hide from predators. They are often hung on tree branches, set up on stakes, or slightly elevated, and are commonly composed of wood, leaves, gravel, recycled material, tied up sticks, and fermenting logs. Hotels might be as small as a 20x20x10cm box or as large as a meter high. A Bug Hotel is often constructed with a species in mind, so make sure you have a good idea of what animal you’re willing to support and which you would want to deter.
This competition is meant for local schools and students who wants to help the environment. The work can be an class or team effort, and the structure must be submitted knowing that:
- AUB is a botanical garden
- Your structure could be installed on campus!
- Your structure will look pleasing and eye catching (please no smelly or messy materials)
- Your structure needs to be no bigger than around 30,000 cm³ (this is the maximum volume; meaning it can be around 30x30x30cm or 20x30x50cm or 40x30x25cm ... etc)
To participate in the competition, kindly send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the name if the school, class, and specify if the work is done by the entire class or a smaller team from the school.
Each school is eligible to submit up to 8 projects.
At the last day of registration, all who registered will be emailed a competition slip with the names they have included in their form. This is used as proof of your registration and so that we know which structure belongs to whom once you submit it to AUBotanic.
Please include the name of the school and team with the habitat hotel once you submit it. You may submit your habitat hotel during AUB work hours; Monday to Friday from 9:00 to 4:00 pm at Reynolds Hall, 2nd floor in the LDEM department. There is no specific submission week, you may submit your work at any given time, just be aware of the deadline date, and once you submit your work it won’t be possible to take it back for any corrections.
- 1st Prize: students of the 1st price will receive a winner trophy and each member a medallion. Also the class of the winning team will receive an educational mini greenhouse and will be invited to AUB to take part of an educational botanical garden tour.
- 2nd Prize: students of the 2nd price will receive a medallion. Also the class of the 2nd price will receive a class composting bin and will be invited to AUB to take part of an educational botanical garden tour.
- 3rd Price: students of the 3rd price will receive a medallion and will be invited to AUB to take part of an educational botanical garden tour.
All participants will receive a certificate of participation.
- April 20th >>> Registration Period
- May 10th >>> Deadline for Submissions
- May (TBA) >>> Announcement of the WINNERS
>>FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS<< Click here to open a pdf showing all the answered questions from the contestants.