The Center for Advanced Mathematical Sciences (CAMS) provides scientists at AUB and in Lebanon and the region with a vibrant intellectual environment for performing first-class research in the Mathematical Sciences. By creating opportunities for advanced research and teaching, and by serving as a catalyst for academic collaboration and interdisciplinary research, CAMS also plays a unique role in advancing the University’s vision and mission, and in attracting and retaining exceptional scholars as members of its intellectual community
The objectives of CAMS are to:
- Promote original research in the Mathematical Sciences;
- Act as a focal point for collaborative research among mathematicians and scientists in the region, partly by hosting visitors for various intervals of time, and also by organizing topical meetings, workshops/seminars, and conferences in the Mathematical Sciences;
- Support pure and applied research programs in Mathematics, Computational Science, Climate Studies, Theoretical Physics, and Engineering at AUB and at other universities in Lebanon;
- Promote and contribute to Master’s and PhD programs in the Mathematical Sciences at AUB;
- Foster a multidisciplinary environment encompassing disciplines that make significant use of mathematical tools;
- Identify promising new fields of Science and Engineering with strong mathematical components, and encourage their integration within CAMS and the University.
CAMS was founded in 1999 through the efforts of an international group of scientists with the primary goal of becoming the premier center of excellence for research in the mathematical sciences in the Middle East.
By creating opportunities for top-quality research and teaching, and by encouraging academic collaboration and interdisciplinary research at AUB and in the region, CAMS has served as flagship institute within AUB's academic plan to revitalize scholarship and research in the mathematical sciences.
CAMS has a unique role to play as the leading regional institute for research in the mathematical sciences.