The Occupational Safety Unit is in charge of developing, implementing, and maintaining the Medical Center's Occupational Safety programs, it provides the framework in which to manage non-clinical safety issues and implements Safety Regulations. The unit ensures that AUBMC operations comply with AUBMC Safety Plans and the requirements prescribed by the Joint Commission International (JCI).
- Developing, reviewing, and implementing AUBMC safety policies, systems, and procedures.
- Conducting different types of facility surveys, investigating observed hazard and preparing reports on findings identifying risks, violations, recommendations, and plan of action.
- Participating in the PLM safety program to ensure compliance with Certified American Pathologist (CAP) requirements.
- Investigating non patient related incidents and facility related safety incidents.
- Monitoring and controling the handling, collection and disposal of chemicals, hazardous drugs and chemical waste.
- Working collaboratively with the Quality Department to implement new standards.
- Participating in accreditation surveys and provides direct feedback for inquiries related to compliance with the Facility Management and Safety plans.
- Developing training material and methods related to relevant safety plans.
- Preparing and conducting AUBMC drills and responding to emergencies.
- Participating in expansion and renovation projects to ensure compliance with all code requirements.