The Rural Empowerment & Entrepreneurship Forum, REEF, launched by the Environment and Sustainable Development Unit (ESDU) at the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences at the American University of Beirut, aims at building a mutual platform among all developmental actors of the rural areas in Lebanon. The REEF network is an innovative framework to promote knowledge sharing, mobilization of resources and establishment of new partnerships among all stakeholders of the different sectors.
The REEF network includes eight sub-networks among others:
1) Climate REEF – focuses on sustainably improving the skills and capacities of local youth, women and farmers on climate-smart practices
2) Food REEF – focuses on nutrition and food security through access to healthy food and rural income generating activities.
3) Eco REEF – focuses on the nascent organic agriculture sector.
4) Clean REEF – focuses on composting, sorting and recycling.
5) Tour REEF – focuses on sustainable rural tourism.
6) Protected REEF – focuses on protected areas and nature reserves.
7) Vocational REEF – focuses on establishing agricultural vocational training centers for women and youth.