FAFS celebrated the class of 2018 during a reception in their honor. The audience included AUB Dr. President Fadlo Khuri, AUB Board of Trustees members Dr. Ronnie Coffman and Dr. Jose Zaglul, Provost Mohammad Harajli, Chief Information Officer Dr. Yousif Asfour, FAFS External Advisory Board Chair Mr. Khaled Sinno, Vice-chair Mr. Michel Bayoud and Advisory Board members Dr. Lamia Khuri, Dr. Khalil Melki, Mr. Elias Assaf, the AUB Upper Administration, FAFS faculty members and staff, students and their families.
At his first graduate reception as Dean, Rabi Mohtar applauded the FAFS students as they launch their careers and acknowledged with appreciation the students’ families, mentors, and friends for providing constant support. The Dean described his vision to implement, in collaboration with the broader AUB team and other stakeholders, new programs that address the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), inviting everyone to take part in the initiative. This year’s recipients of the Penrose Award, Sara Hamze (Bachelor of Science in Landscape Architecture and Diploma of Ingenieur Agricole) and Lea Sinno (Bachelor of Science in Nutrition & Dietetics Coordinated Program), addressed their graduating classmates, who represent the next generation of FAFS leaders. Mrs. Nadine El Khoury offered the invited keynote at the reception and discussed her journey, which began as a FAFS student and led to her current achievements as Chief Operating Officer of Robinson AGRI.
Dean Mohtar acknowledged the 2018 FAFS Distinguished Students:
Penrose Award: Lea Sinno (NDCP IV)
- Dean Thomas Sutherland Award for Undergraduate Excellence: Lea Sinno (NDCP IV)
- Abdul Hadi Debs Endowment Award: Chafik Ghassan Abdallah (IRRG) and Andre Elias Abou Haidar (PLPT)
- The Dean Nuhad Dagher FAFS Graduate Student Award: Nour Ramadan (ANML)
- Dean Thomas Sutherland Prize for Graduate Excellence: Andre Elias Abou Haidar (PLPT) and Mohammad Ali Jaafar Haj Hassan (IRRG)
- The Dr. Musa Najib Nimah Endowed Award for Academic Excellence: Walid Al Hakeem (AGRI IV)
- Edgecombe Memorial Prize: Andrew Ajami (AGRI IV) and Roy Sfeir (AGRI IV)
- The Nehme Moujaess Student Award in Landscape Architecture: Jessica Hattar (LDAR IV)
- The Joana Haidar Award: Ghida El Dirany (AGRI III)
- Kashadurian Award: Walid Al Hakeem (AGRI IV)
Prior to the reception, Mr. Michel Akl, President of the Association of Importers and Distributors of Supplies for Agricultural Production in Lebanon signed his book “كلفة المنتجات الزراعية النباتية في لبنان - دراسة وتحليل" and distributed it to all 2018 FAFS graduates.
FAFS congratulates the class of 2018 and its distinguished awardees! The faculty looks forward to following and supporting their future endeavors.