To receive aid from the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program through AUB you must be:
- A citizen or a permanent resident* (green card holder) of the United States with a valid Social Security Number.
- Enrolled at AUB in an eligible program as a regular student seeking a degree, except for Medical and Nursing School.
- Registered for Selective Service, if you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). (Students Placed on Second Consecutive Probation and students placed on academic probation for a total of three regular semesters are not eligible for Federal Direct Loans).
Regardless of the above mentioned eligibility requirements, if the student is in default s/he will not be eligible to receive Federal Direct Loans.
The following students are hence Not Eligible for Federal Student Aid:
- Students enrolled in special programs not leading to a degree
- Visiting students
- AUB students who are benefiting from Study Abroad Program and Exchange Program
- Students enrolled for less than half-time
- Students Placed on Second Consecutive Probation or a total of Three non-consecutive probations
- Students who exceeded the maximum eligibility period which is 150% of the published length of the educational program in which the borrower is currently enrolled. (For Financial Aid purposes, the regular length of the Graduate Program is considered to be 3 years).
- Nursing Student
- Medical School Students
- Students who are in default on Federal Direct Loan Program or had exceeded the maximum loan amount they are eligible for.
First-time Borrower Eligibility
First-time borrower is a borrower who has no outstanding balance of principal or interest on a Direct Loan or FFEL loan on July 1, 2013, or on the date the borrower obtains a Direct Loan after July 1, 2013.
is no longer eligible for Direct Subsidized Loans once the borrower has received Direct Subsidized Loans for a period of 150% of the length of the borrower’s educational program, while s/he will be still eligible to receive unsubsidized or PLUS loans.
* Students who have the green card and are still awaiting the US citizenship may be eligible depending on their particular status. Such students may try to apply online, if the social security number is not considered valid by the U.S. Department of Education then the students will be notified.