The Central Research Science Laboratory (CRSL) is a
Faculty of Arts & Sciences facility established to house major
general-user equipment, in order to serve the University faculty
members, their collaborators  and students.
- The Director of the CRSL manages the affairs of the Lab assisted by a user’s Committee appointed by the Dean of FAS.
- The Director is the ultimate authority in the Lab. Disputes that cannot
be resolved may be referred to the User’s Committee for arbitration.
- The Central Lab is a central user-instrumentation facility. Users may
not establish a permanent base in the Lab. Users will generally prepare
their samples in their own laboratories and then bring them to the Lab
for further investigation using the Lab equipment.
operators who have received the proper training on a piece of equipment
may use that equipment. Training may be arranged for after consultation
with the Director.
- All CRSL users should abide to laboratory
safety rules: wearing a lab gown, eye goggle and gloves is mandatory if
working with chemicals, solvents and bio-hazardous materials. Users
with no proper safety training will be asked to pass an online training
for Fire and Safety, Chemicals handling and Waste Management prior to
granting access to the laboratory.
- Standard operating
procedures (SOP) will be posted next to each instrument. All users are
expected to adhere to those procedures.
- Each piece of equipment will have a logbook into which the following are recorded:
- Switch on ( time and operator)
- Usage: Start time, end time, user ( with signature ) and any relevant remarks.
- Change of accessories, if any ( time and operator )
- Switch off ( time and operator )
- Problems must be reported promptly to the Laboratory manager or the Director.
- There are limited sample storage facilities in the Lab, hence; samples
may be kept in the Laboratory for only a very limited duration. Samples
stored in the Lab must be properly labeled with user’s name, nature of
the sample and date of storage. Samples that are not properly labeled
will be disposed off promptly.
- Out of courtesy to other
users, the Laboratory must be kept clean and orderly at all times.
Individuals who repeatedly abuse the facility will be denied the
privilege of using the Laboratory in the future.
- Only AUB
faculty members may make reservations for themselves, their
collaborators and their graduate students. Students and research
assistants may also make reservations upon the consent of their
- Reservations must be done on-line via the following
link (http://www.aub.edu.lb/services/webreserve.html). Contact the
laboratory manager to know the time allowed for each equipment.
- If a user does not show up, within 30 minutes of the appointment, the
laboratory manager has the authority to give his/her spot to other
- Access to the Lab may be issued, upon request,
to faculty members who may wish to work overnight, on weekends or on
- After hour access can be issued to users upon
request and this is limited for research necessity keeping in mind that
this is a privilege and not a right, which can be withdrawn for any
misuse, misconduct, negligence, abuse etc.
- For safety reasons, no operator may work alone in the Lab at any time.
- Supplies that are needed for proper functioning of the equipment are to
be provided by the CRSL. However, supplies that are needed for sample
preparation and measurement are to be provided by the researchers
- Users should recognize the CRSL in their publications or thesis. This
will be used as indicator of performance of the CRSL. To keep record,
users should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning the title,
authors and the equipment
 Collaborators from outside the University must obtain the proper approval from the Dean of FAS:
Non AUB faculty/students undertaking research/work at AUB should fill the Release of Liability form and have it signed from the corresponding department Chairman and the Dean of FAS. It is mandatory that all non AUB faculty/students doing research on AUB premises show evidence of having a valid medical insurance, personal accident and life insurance.