I am an associate professor of economics at the American
University of Beirut. My research interests include the history and philosophy
of decision theory and the ethical foundations of welfare economics in general
and behavioral welfare economics in particular.
- Mabsout, R. (forthcoming) Mill, soft paternalist. Social
Choice & Welfare.
- Mabsout, R. (with Hossein Radmard) (2020) Experimenting with the Coase theorem. Journal of Economic Methodology, 27, pp. 1-17.
- Mabsout, R. (with Jana Mourad) (2018) Harnessing
heuristics for economic policy. Economics & Philosophy, 34, pp. 135-163.
- Mabsout, R. (2018) The backward induction controversy as
a metaphorical problem. Economic Thought, 7, pp. 24-49.
- Mabsout, R. (2016) Response to Polzin, Rauschmayer,
Lilley, and Whitehead (2015) What could 'mindful capabilities' be? A comment on
Mabsout's 'Mindful Capabilities'. Ecological Economics, 128, pp. 260-261.
- Mabsout, R. (with Bana Bashour) (2016) Reconciling
economics with naturalist ethical theory. Review of Social Economy. 74, pp.
275-297. DOI: 10.1080/00346764.2016.1168034.
- Mabsout, R. (2015) Abduction and economics: The
contributions of Charles Peirce and Herbert Simon. Journal of Economic
Methodology, 22, pp. 491-516. DOI: 10.1080/1350178X.2015.1024876.
- Mabsout, R. (2015) Mindful capability. Ecological
Economics. 112, pp. 86-97. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2015.01.008.
- Mabsout, R. (2014) Bringing ethics back to welfare
economics. Review of Social Economy, LXXII, pp. 1-28. DOI:10.1080/00346764.2013.806109
(Paper selected as editor's pick for 2015).
- Late Neoclassical Economics: The Restoration of
Theoretical Humanism in Contemporary Economic Theory, Yahya Madra, Routledge.
Erasmus Journal for Philosophy & Economics, (2018), 11, pp. 107-116.
- Ethics in Economics: An Introduction to Moral Frameworks,
Jonathan Wight, Stanford University Press. The American Economist, (2017), 62,
pp. 272-275. DOI: 10.1177/0569434517691695.
- The Society of Equals, Pierre Rosanvallon, Harvard
University Press. Review of Political Economy, (2015), 27, pp. 685-689. DOI:
Culture, Health, and Sexuality; Ecological Economics;
Economic Systems; Feminist Economics; Forum for Social Economics; International
Studies in Philosophy of Science; Journal of Business Ethics; Journal of
Cleaner Production; Journal of Institutional Economics; Journal of
International Development; Journal of Poverty Alleviation & International
Development; Palgrave; Review of Social Economy; Routledge; Synthese; World
Development; World Economic Association.
Most recent taught courses:
Behavioral economics and public policy
History of economic thought (Special topic: The discovery
of utility theory in the 19th century)