A major objective of the Institute is to promote research and other academic activities in financial, banking and international economics . Gaining increasing recognition (the Institute is a founding member of the Forum for Euro-Med. Economics Institutes-FEMISE headquartered in Marseilles, France), it aims to become a major research center in these areas in particular as concerns the Middle East and the North Africa region. Emphasis is placed on policy-oriented empirical work that could be beneficial to governments and organizations concerned with the design of economic financial and monetary policies. Towards this objective it also holds seminar, workshops and lectures that, among other things, bring together academicians, financial managers and experts, and policy makers to analyze issues of relevance at the policy level.
The Institute encourages collaborative work with appropriate national, regional and international organizations, and research center. It also accommodates visiting scholars and experts for various intervals of time to conduct research at the institute.
In 2003, the institute initiated a guest lecture and working paper series. The lectures are by invited scholars and experts and except for minor editorial changes, are circulated as presented. The working papers incorporate preliminary findings of ongoing research work being undertaken at the Institute and elsewhere. To access this series of publications , click here.
On Going Research
- Income Govergence and the Impact of the Euro-MED Trade and Financial Integration on Macroeconomic Volatility. Institute of Financial Economics Research Project.(S. Neaime/ I. Gaysset and T-L Segot).
- The Sustainability of Debt and Exchange Rates Policies: Evidence from Canada and Mexico.Institute of Financial Economics Research Project.(S. Neaime/A. Mansourian)
- Financial Inclusion and Stability in the MED Region : Evidence From Poverty and Inequality, IFE/Euro-Mediterranean Forum of Economic Institutes. (S. Neaime/ I. Gaysset)
- Testing forFinancial Bubbles: Evidence from the MENA Region. Institute of Financial Economics Research Project. (S. Neaime,S. Altug).
- Labor Migration andMacroeonomic Volatility. Institute of Financial Economics Research Project.(S. Neaime, S. Altug, Murat Kurdar and Alparslan Tuncay).
- The Equity Premium Puzzle: New Empirical Evidence.(S. Neaime. E. Appelbaum).
- Post-conflict transitions in conflict-affected Arab Countries. Economic Research Institute (Cairo) research project.( S. Makdisi and numerous researchers from various universities and economic institutions in the Arab region & Abroad).
Published Journal Articles
- Twin Deficits and Fiscal Spillovers in the EMU's Periphery. A Keynesian Perspective, Economic Modeling, 2019 (impact Factor:1.69). [I.Gayset., T.,L.Segot, and S. Neaime]
- The Eurozone Debt Crisis: A structural VAR Approach, Research in International Business and Finance, 2018 [S. Neaime, I. Gaysset, and N. Badra]
- Financial inclusion and Stability in MENA: Evidence from poverty and inequality, Finance Research Letters ,2018 [S. Neaime, I, Gaysset]
- The eurozone debt crisis: A structural VAR approach, 2017,[S. Neaime, I. Gaysset, N. Badra]
- Sustainability of macroeconomic policies in selected MENA countries Post financial and debt crises, Research in International Business and Finance, 2017, [S. Neaime, I. Gaysset]
- Syria the Painful Transition towards Democracy in Democratic Transitions in the Arab World, 2017, [S. Neaime, R. Safadi ]
- Financial crises and contagion vulnerability of MENA stock markets, Emerging Markets Review, 2016, [S. Neaime]
- Are emerging MENA Stock Markets Mean Reverting? A Monte Carol Simulation, Finance Research Letters, 2015 [Simon Neaime]
- Sustainability of Budget Deficets and Public Debt in Selected Europpean Union Countries, The Journal of Economic Asymmetries, 2015 [Simon Neaime]
- Twin deficits and the Sustainability of Public Debt and Exchange Rate Policies in Lebanon, Research in International Business and Finance, 2015 Simon Neaime]
- The Demand Elasticity of Mobile Telephones in the Middle East and North Africa, Research in International Business and Finance, 2014 [Sam Hakim, Simon Neaime]
- Foreign Shocks and International Cost of Equity Destabilization. Evidence from the MENA Region, Emerging Markets Review, 2014 [Alexis Guyot, Thomas Lagoarde-Segot, Simon Neaime]
- Foreign Currency Borrowing by Small Firms in Emerging Markets: When Domestic Banks Intermediate Dollars, Journal of Banking and Finance, 2013 [Nada Mora, Simon Neaime, Sebouh Aintablian]
- The Global Financial Crisis, Financial Linkages and Correlations in Returns and Volatilities in Emerging MENA Stock Market, Emerging Markets Review, 2012 [Simon Neaime]
- Sustainability of MENA Public Debt 5 and the Macroeconomic Implications of the Recent Global Financial Crisis, Middle East Development Journal, 2010 [Simon Neaime]
- Sustainability of Exchange Rate Policies and External Public Debt in the MENA Region, 2009 ,[Simon Neaime]
- Finance and Economic Development in the Mediterranean Area: The Role of Euro-Mediterranean Cooperation, 2009 [Giorgio Gomel and Simon Neaime]
- Twin Deficits in Lebanon: A Time Series Analysis, 2008 [Simon Neaime]
- Habits and Durability In Consumption and the Effects of Exchange Rate Policies, International Economic Journal, 2006 [Arman Mansorrian and Simon Neaime]
- South-South Trade Monetary and Financial Integration and the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership: An Empirical Investigation, 2005 [Simon Neaime]
- Portfolio Diversification and Financial Int egration of MENA Stock Markets, Research in Middle East EconomicsI, 2005 [Simon Neaime]
- Financial Market Integration and Macroeconomic Volatility in the MENA Region: An Empirical Investigation, Review of Middle East Economics and Finance, 2005, [Simon Neaime]
- Sustainability of Budget Deficits and Public Debt in Lebanon: a Stationarity and Co-Integration Analysis, 2004 [Simon Neaime]
- Exchange Rates, Trade and FDI Flows and the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership, 2004 [Simon Neaime]
- Income Convergence in the Asia-Pacific Region, Journal of Economic Integration, 2004 [Leo Michelis and Simon Neaime ]
- Mean-Reversion across MENA Stock Markets: Implications for Derivative Pricing, International Journal of Business, 2003 [Sam Hakim, Simon Neaime]
- Implications of the Introduction of the Euro for the Mediterranean Countries, 2003 [Nora Colton and Simon Neaime]
- Durable Goods, Habits, Time Preference, and Exchange Rates, North American Journal of Economics and Finance, 2003 [Arman Mansoorian, Simon Neaime]
- The Future of the Dollar-Euro Exchange Rate, North American Journal of Economics and Finance, 2002, [Simon Neaime, John Paschakis]
- A Perspective on the Future Dollar-Euro Exchange Rate: Implications for the Peripheral Mediterranean Countries, 2000 [Simon Neaime]
- Performance and Credit Risk in Banking: A Comparative Study for Egypt and Lebanon, ERF Working Paper 0137, [Sam Hakim and Simon Neaime]