The mission of the SOAN degrees offered by the Department of Sociology, Anthropology, and Media Studies is to make students aware of the different contributions of anthropology and sociology to an understanding of the worlds we live in. The aim is to train students in the conceptual, research, and applied tools of these two components. Through independent, critical, and advocacy fieldwork, attention is given to the historical and cross-cultural heritage of Arab society and its relation to the rest of the world.
SOAN Program Learning Outcomes
- Develop a critical understanding of a wide range of current social issues considered in their historical context.
- Master key concepts and theories in sociology/anthropology and understand the history of their development.
- Develop the ability to apply conceptual and theoretical frameworks to the empirical study of specific research questions.
- Use a variety of research designs and research methods in an effective and ethical manner.
- Effectively communicate sociological and anthropological knowledge in various forms (oral, written, and other forms and media).