Women & Gender Studies at AUB is an interdisciplinary initiative that fosters cross-disciplinary teaching and research on the role of gender in society and its intersection with other social forces and identities. Through a variety of courses, students learn how different academic fields and disciplines view the operation of gender in the labor market, social movements, the family, healthcare, political systems, and cultural productions and representations. Undergraduate students across the University can receive a minor in Women & Gender Studies by completing these requirements.
How to Declare a Minor?
Procedure for Completing a Minor
- Student meets with the Adviser to discuss option and plan for completing a minor
- Student then fills the form, Intention to Fulfill a Minor, and sends it to email@example.com
- After finishing all the courses with an average of 70 or higher the student must fulfill the form Certificate of Fulfillment of the Requirements of a Minor. This form is specific for every minor
- The form is then signed by the Adviser and sent to the FAS Student Services Officer in the Deans office
- The form is then approved by the Dean and sent to the Registrar, Adviser and the student's department
Frequently Asked QuestionsWhat careers do WGS minors pursue?
The career opportunities for WGS minors, like the career opportunities for liberal arts degree holders, are vast. Writing, communications, critical thinking, research, and interpersonal skills equip the WGS minor with the ability to articulate and defend positions, work in teams with different personalities and opinions, empathize with radically different perspectives, negotiate differences and recognize others' subconscious assumptions, as well as to interpret and better understand different audiences.
For WGS minors interested to pursue a career in related fields, career opportunities are available in government and community organizations, international non-profit agencies, corporate human resources departments, human rights organizations, marketing and public relations, corporate communications departments and others. Examples of possible jobs include:
What other BA/MA programs are available to WGS minors?
- Advocate for Social Justice NGOs
- Assistant at Mental Health Clinics
- Counselor for Students
- Director of Human Resources at an International Corporation
- Policy Analyst at a Governmental Institution
- Public Relations Executive for a Private Company
- Social Worker
A WGS minor would complement BA/MA programs in:
- Arabic Literature
- Art History
- English Literature
- Fine Arts
- Health Sciences
- Media Studies
- Political Science
- Public Administration
How many courses are required for the WGS minors?
How do I get a course counted that I took at another university?
Visit AUB's Office of International Programs website
and fill out the Study Abroad Course Approval Application before the deadline in order to pre-approve your courses.
SPRING SEMESTER 2020-21
- ENGL 256B: Introduction to Digital Humanities (Humanities)
- ENGL258I: Feminist Poetics (Humanities)
- PSYC 240K: S.T. Psychology of Gender (Social Sciences)
- PHIL249: Philosophy of Feminism (Humanities)
- NSFC215: Gender, Food, and Nutrition (Natural Sciences)
- PSPA 202: Introduction to Public Administration (Social Sciences) - only the section with Dr Haddad
- PSPA 289T: ST: Gender, Conflict, and Peacebuilding (Social Sciences)
- MCOM 212I: Sp T Gender and Communication (Social Sciences)
- STAT203: Statistics for Gender Studies (Quantitative Thought)
- SOAN 217: Anthropology of the Body (Social Sciences)