The Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS) was established in 1954 as an independent School of Public Health, the first of its kind in the region. The name of the school was changed to the Faculty of Health Sciences in 1978 to accommodate programs in allied health.
FHS is the leading school of public health in the region serving the wellbeing of people and communities by conducting research and service that influence policy and practice, and by preparing competent health professionals who are agents of change in society. Through its vital regional role in knowledge production and advocacy for social justice, FHS aspires to shape the global public health discourse.
Currently, FHS hosts four departments which are Epidemiology and Population Health (EPH), Environmental Health (EH), Health Promotion and Community Health (HPCH), Health Management and Policy (HMP), and a Division of Health Professions. It also hosts programs in collaboration with the Faculty of Medicine which include programs in Medical Laboratory Sciences, Medical Audiology Sciences, and Medical Imaging Sciences. FHS offers a BS degree in Environmental Health, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Medical Imaging Sciences, and Medical Audiology Sciences.