On the Occasion of World Osteoporosis Day (WOD), on October 20, the Calcium Metabolism and Osteoporosis Program (CaMOP) at AUBMC prepared a series of events over that period in collaboration with nursing, clinical nutrition, physical therapy, and pharmacy departments, and media relations at AUBMC, to raise awareness on Osteoporosis:
The activities included:
Awareness Booth- Monday October 23, 2023 at ACC Building, AND Friday October 27, 2023 at Building 23-AUBMC
A booth installed at the entrance of the medical center outpatient clinics. The booth included many educational activities such as:
- Knowledge competitions
- Participants filled the “FRAX” questionnaire to check their own risk for osteoporosis with the support of attending physicians, fellows, and nurses participating in the event.
- Brochures developed by the International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF) and leaflets for WOD were distributed alongside material developed by the CaMOP on osteoporosis and vitamin D.
- Nutrition and bone health: In this section, the patient was informed about the content of calcium in each food type, and the calcium intake using the IOF questionnaire for patients who were interested, and a result was printed and given to the patient. A leaflet listing calcium content in food was distributed in this section.
- Daily living and exercise with osteoporosis: this section was handled by the physical therapy department. Patients were advised about the exercises that are safe to be done for patients with osteoporosis, mainly stretching, balance and quadriceps strengthening exercises. The exercise booklet was distributed in this section.
- Treatment of osteoporosis: this section was handled by the pharmacy department. Patients were guided through the different types of treatment for osteoporosis, along with their side effects. The pamphlet detailing the treatment strategies was distributed in this section.
- Diagnosis of osteoporosis: this section was handled by the Bone Densitometry Unit technicians. Patients were informed about the different steps of the BMD testing and the main instructions before doing the test. The booklet about BMD testing was distributed in this section.
Additional activities were run by Clinical Nutrition Department:
- AUBMC dining room booth by nutrition dietetics students on October 20, 2023 (poster and Q&A activity).
- On campus booth by Nutrition Society, and nutrition dietetics students on October 25, 2023.
- Social Media: nutrition dietetics students developed a short video with the assistance of the communication office.