In line with the University mission and within the overall objectives of the Faculty of Medicine, the mission of the Department is to emphasize programs with a strong correlation between structure and function and to focus on integration of cellular and molecular biology with the biology of cells organized as tissues, organs, organ systems and organisms. The Department strives to meet the following objectives:
- Impart to undergraduate medical, nursing and allied health students, the basic knowledge and skills in the morphological and physiological sciences and cell biology.
- Offer selective rotations in surgical and applied morphology and physiology to interns, residents and fellows at different stages of their training.
- Promote the advancement of biomedical sciences through basic research by offering a graduate training program in the morphological and physiological sciences, neuroscience and cell biology for those candidates planning for teaching and research careers.
- Offer specialized and specific medical diagnostic services.
- Undertake collaborative research programs within AUB and national and international institutions and organizations.
- Offer services through consultancy work and participation in national, regional and international committees or affiliation programs
We envisage that by the end of our restructuring, recruiting and renovating our physical facilities, the Department will occupy a central and pivotal role in medical education and a leading position in state of the art of biomedical research.