The Medical Imaging Sciences Program (MIS) at the Faculty of Health Sciences is a 3 year program that offers theoretical and clinical training in imaging modalities to students who are seeking to become radiographers or as pre-medical track for those who want to become healthcare professionals.
The MIS program started initially in 1961 as a 1 year Radiologic Technology Training Program (RTTP). In 1970, the program changed to a two-calendar-year curriculum as new modalities emerged in the field of diagnostic radiology. The RTTP, which awarded a technical diploma, was abandoned in 2014 and replaced by the MIS program. . The curriculum was updated to address the rapidly expanding technological advances in medical imaging and medicine and a third year of training was added to the program. The MIS was incorporated in the Faculty of Health Sciences, and became a university degree awarding a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Medical Imaging Sciences. The first class of the MIS program graduated in 2017.
The mission of the Medical Imaging Sciences (MIS) Program at the American University of Beirut is to provide excellent medical imaging education and training. MIS aims to produce academically and clinically competent radiographers and pre-medical students who will become patient advocates in their field and perform their duties at the highest standards.
The vision of the Medical Imaging Sciences Program is to be the leading medical imaging education and training program in Lebanon and the region. MIS is committed to maintaining and continually improving upon its collaborative leadership with the Department of Diagnostic Radiology t the American University of Beirut Medical Center (AUBMC).
- To provide the students with the educational knowledge and clinical skills that enables them to perform competently and safely all imaging procedures.
- To provide the student with sound problem-solving, communication and critical thinking skills necessary to function effectively in different clinical situations.
- To provide an educational environment that will foster professional growth and life-long learning.
- To instill in the students the ethical values of the profession, compassion, respect, understanding and dignity in providing quality care to patient during diagnostic imaging procedures.
- To provide the student with the opportunity to advance in multidisciplinary graduate education.
- To provide the healthcare community with multi-skilled radiographers competent in all imaging modalities.
The theoretical education is provided in the Faculty of Health Sciences at the main AUB campus as well as in the sub-basement of the Medical Center.
The clinical training is carried out in the Department of Diagnostic Radiology and throughout the Medical Center. The students are acquainted with the most up-to-date imaging modalities available in the department.
The program starts each fall with the academic year of AUB. At the completion of 36 months of theoretical and clinical education, the successful students are awarded a Bachelor of Science (BS) with a major in Medical
Please address all correspondence regarding admission to:
Salem Hannoun, PhD
Medical Imaging Sciences Program Coordinator
Faculty of Health Sciences
American University of Beirut (AUB)