Scope of Services
The Medical Genetics Laboratory performs karyotyping (chromosomal banding analysis), Fluorescent in Situ Hybridization (FISH), Next Generation Sequencing and DNA analyses on a variety of samples, such as blood, bone marrow, lymph nodes and prenatal samples. Those tests include:
- Constitutional chromosome analysis on blood lymphocytes, amniotic fluid, chorionic villi, fetal blood, and products of conception.
- Acquired chromosome analysis on blood, bone marrow, and lymph nodes.
- Fluorescent In Situ Hybridization (FISH) for the detection of major chromosome rearrangements in hematological disorders (Acute Myeloid Leukemia, Acute Lymphoid Leukemia, Multiple Myeloma, Myelodysplastic syndromes, and Multiple Myeloma) and microdeletions causing constitutional syndromes.
- DNA analyses for Genes involved in inherited familial cancers such as breast, ovarian, prostate and colon cancers.
- DNA analyses for Genes involved in inherited disorders.
- Preimplantation genetic diagnosis for aneuploidy and monogenic disorders.
The staff of the Medical genetics Laboratory currently includes six technologists and medical laboratory scientists and a supervisor, in addition to the laboratory director. The laboratory is CAP-accredited and processes over 3000 samples per year.
Dr. Nada Assaf
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine American University of Beirut Medical Center Beirut, Lebanon
Telephone Extensions: 5269/5245/5247