Scope of Services
The Medical Genetics Laboratory performs karyotyping, molecular Karyotyping, and DNA analyses on a variety of samples, which include the following:
- Chromosome analysis
Constitutional on blood lymphocytes skin fibroblasts, amniotic fluid, chorionic villi, fetal blood, and products of conception
- Acquired on blood, bone marrow, lymph nodes, and solid tumors
- Fluorescent In Situ Hybridization (FISH) for the detection of major chromosome rearrangements in hematological disorders and solid tumors as well as detection of constitutional microdeletions.
- Targeted microarray analyses: for the detection of addition or loss of chromosome regions associated with known syndromes.
- DNA analyses for Genes involved in inherited familial cancers such as breast, ovarian, and colon cancers.
- DNA analyses for Genes involved in inherited disorders.
- Preimplantation genetic diagnosis for monogenic disorders.
The staff of the Medical genetics Laboratory currently includes ten technologists and medical laboratory scientists and a supervisor, in addition to the laboratory director. The laboratory is CAP-accredited and processes over 3000 samples per year.
- Dr. Chantal Farra Awwad
- Carla Mounsef
- Lama Hamadeh
- Nada Darwish
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
American University of Beirut Medical Center