I. Eligibility Requirements:
Residents can apply to GME Fellowship programs at AUBMC if they:
- graduated from a medical school registered in the
International Medical Education Directory (IMED)
- are completing or have completed their GME residency training program
- satisfactory passed an English Proficiency Language Examination
- successfully completed the required Fellowship Admission Examination
II. Examination Requirements & Dates:
The below 2 qualifying examinations are required from applicants applying to the GME fellowship programs at AUB:
1. English Proficiency Examination: Applicants must show a level of proficiency in the English language by obtaining the minimum scores in any of the below exams:
Minimum Score in English Language Proficiency Requirements (ELPR)|
AUB English Entrance Exam (AUB-EN)***||40 (1 year validity period)|
TOEFL (Computer Based)||230 (2 years validity period)|
TOEFL (Paper Based)||573 (2 years validity period)|
TOEFL (Internet Based)||88 (2 years validity period)|
IELTS – Academic (British Council)||7.0 (2 years validity period)|
Applicants exempted from sitting for English Proficiency Exam|
- AUB graduates
- AUB residents
- Graduates who completed both their Bachelor's & MD degrees at the University of Balamand
- Graduates who completed both their Bachelor's & MD degrees at the Lebanese American University
- Graduates of recognized colleges or universities in North America, Great Britain, Australia, and New Zealand
- Exceptionally, applicants can sit for the AUB English Entrance Exam. The AUB-EN will be administered through the Office of Institutional Research & Assessment at https://www.aub.edu.lb/oira/Pages/Testing.aspx .
- Applicants can register for the above English Exams at the concerned centers and not through the GME Office.
2. Fellowship Admission Examination: Applicants interested in applying to the fellowship programs at the AUB GME Office are required to sit for an examination that reflects their residency knowledge.
Applicants exempted from sitting for Fellowship Admission Examination|
- AUB residents
- Applicants with any board certification
- Applicants to Ophthalmology fellowship programs provided that they have board certification or have passed the International Council of Ophthalmology Examinations
IFOM Fellowship Admission Examination ||Applicants to Internal Medicine, Neurology, Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Pediatrics and Surgery fellowship programs are offered this exam at GME once a year|
Departmental Fellowship Admission Examination||Applicants to Anesthesiology and Diagnostic Radiology fellowship programs are offered this exam at GME once a year|
IFOM & Departmental Fellowship Admission Exams Validity Period ||Two years |
- Applicants to Ophthalmology fellowship programs who have passed the international Council of Ophthalmology Examinations need to upload the report(s) to the online application or to e-mail the documents to the GME Office by
January 22, 2024.
On Registration for the Fellowship Admission Exams:
Residents who do not have board certification are required to register at the GME Office for the Fellowship Admission Exam. They need to:
- Pass by the GME Office after submitting the online GME application
- Bring a passport size, colored photograph
- Pay the Fellowship Admission Examination registration fee
Get the examination registration slip from the GME Office.
- The non-refundable examination fees can be paid by cash at AUBMC Cashier's Office after getting the examination charge codes' paper from the GME Office. Please do not send cash in mail. If applicant can't pay the money by cash, please contact the
GME Office to arrange for Wire Transfer.
Applicants will get detailed information on the examination venue and rules by e-mail at least 3 days before the exam.
2023 Fellowship Admission Exam Dates at AUB:
Deadline for registration for Fellowship Admission Exam at GME Office||
Date of Fellowship Admission Exam at GME Office|
|November 23, 2023|| December 18, 2023|
2023 Fellowship Admission Exam Fees at AUB:
Fees for Academic Year 2024-2025|
|Fellowship Admission Exam||$70|
III. Online Application:
1. On Application & Required Documents:
Applicants wishing to apply to GME Residency Programs need to:
Access the application form (Application for Graduate Medical Education during the month of November from November 3, 2023 till November 23, 2023)
- Fill the online application sections
- Upload the following documents to the online application.
- Photocopy of ID
- Photocopy of passport
- Photocopy of Social Security Number if the applicant is a US-Citizen/Green-Card Holder
- Passport size photo
- Updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Certified copy of the Medical Degree (MD) impressed with original University seal(s) or if not applicable a Dean's letter from the Medical School from which the applicant is enrolled
- Certified copy of the medical school transcript of record
- Certified copy of the residency certificate or dean's letter
- Certified copy of license to practice Medicine from the Lebanese Ministry of Public Health (if applicable and required only from Lebanese citizens)
- A minimum of three letters of reference provided by faculty members who had an academic contact with the applicant (Please click here to see requirements for letter of reference)
- Official score report of the English Language Proficiency examination
- Report or letter verifying that the resident have passed the specialty board certification (if applicable)
- Application fees ($ 50) to be paid by credit card at the end of the online application
- Any document not printed in English must be accompanied by an acceptable original English translation performed by a qualified translator. Each translation must be accompanied by an affidavit of accuracy acceptable to the AUBMC.
- Any required document not uploaded on the online application within the application period can be e-mailed the GME Office staff no later than
January 22, 2024.
- Applicants are kindly asked to keep the original documents until asked by GME Office staff by e-mail to send them in person or by a delegate or by courier to the GME Office. Applicants are expected to abide by the deadline mentioned in the e-mail.
- Applicants to the Neonatology Fellowship Training program are
required to complete an elective rotation at NICU at AUBMC.
- Eligible applicants might be asked by some fellowship programs to submit personal statements describing interest in the sub-specialty and career plans. Such statements should be forwarded to the concerned programs and not through the GME Office. Kindly do not upload the personal statements with the required documents on the Online Application; instead make sure to e-mail it to them once called for an interview.
2. On Application Choices:
- Programs will be blinded on the applicants' choices.
- Applicants have the choice to apply to 2 fellowship training programs provided that they rank their choices. The ranking will be used in the matching process where the priority is for the first choice that will override the second choice (i.e. if an applicant is accepted in both choices, he/she will be automatically accepted in the 1st choice and dropped from the 2nd choice acceptance list)
- The GME office will not accept any changes in the application choices done after the submission of the online application.
3. On Application Process:
After submitting the online application and required papers, the GME Office will be reviewing the applicants' submitted information.
- The GME personnel will be contacting the applicants if additional documents are needed.
- Applicants who didn't meet the GME eligibility requirements or have an incomplete application will be receiving an e-mail on the non-acceptance of their application. Application fees are non-refundable.
- Applications of eligible applicants will be forwarded to the concerned program(s).
- Applicants may be invited for an interview in one or two programs.
- Each program will announce the selection results to the applicants after the GME Committee approval. Acceptance to any of the residency programs is highly competitive.
- Accepted applicants who accept the offered position and sign the letter of intent but later decide not to join the GME fellowship program will not be eligible to apply to any GME Program at AUB in the future.
- All newly accepted
international students to the residency program, must submit the
equivalence of the Lebanese BaccII and authenticate their Medicine degree in the Ministry of Education and Higher Education before enrolling. This is important to ensure a smooth procedure when notarizing the residency diplomas at a later stage. Clich
HERE for information on General Education certificates equivalence (equivalence of the Lebanese BaccII ) and
HERE for University certificates equivalences (MD).
Application deadlines and important dates for Academic Year 2024-2025 are:
Latest Deadline to submit USMLE or English Proficiency Exam scores or any other pending application document||
Decision Notification Date|
|November 3, 2023||November 23, 2023||January 22, 2024||around end of April 2024|
V. Important Dates:
GME Orientation Week for New Residents (MANDATORY)||
Academic Year Starts|
|During the months of February & March 2024||June 10 to June 15, 2024||June 17, 2024|
For further inquiries and clarifications, please check our FAQs and do not hesitate to contact us at the Office of Graduate Medical Education.