The series consists of a core element and a discipline-specific element. Core topics are essential and apply to students of all disciplines.
Core topics are covered in the following five workshops:
- Introduction to thesis and graduate research (fall)
- Thesis proposal (fall)
- Thesis writing (spring)
- Publishing from thesis work (spring)
- Design and delivery of research presentations (spring)
These workshops consist of presentations, interactive audience participation, hands-on-activities, and opportunities for engagement and discussions. The main presenters are experts from the Writing Center and the University Libraries; additional presentations are given by the Graduate Council, the Office of Accessible Education, the Institutional Review Board (IRB), and other relevant contributors.
The discipline-specific element of the series consists of two panels:
- Writing Your Humanities/Social Sciences Thesis: Advice from a panel of AUB professors (fall)
- Writing Your STEM Thesis: Advice from a panel of AUB professors (spring)
AUB professors nominated based on their experience as thesis advisors give students an overview of the thesis sections and the specifics of writing a thesis in their discipline as well as helpful advice regarding the dissertation writing process.