Deadline - November 30, 2018
AUB’s Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs received a generous endowment from the Richard Makdisi family to honor the memory of Nadim A. Makdisi, one of Lebanon’s accomplished journalists and publishers. In addition to hosting an annual lecture by a prominent journalist focusing on current affairs in the Arab world, the Institute is honored to provide the Nadim Makdisi Memorial Fund (NMMF) to support graduate students from AUB.
The NMMF eligibility criteria
- The student should be a full-time and active graduate student at AUB;
- We offer graduate students from AUB a research grant for their thesis or any other graduate research project on contemporary issues in journalism or current affairs;
- Recommended by his/her academic advisor;
- The student should not have previously received an award from the NMMF.
Terms of the Grant Application
- A 500-word summary of a prospective thesis or project which includes a methodology section. A key criterion is to show a clear understanding of the topic at hand and how to achieve your objective. If the recipient needs an extension for his/her thesis/project, the NMMF Committee needs to approve the extension;
- The recipient would need to submit the final thesis to the Issam Fares Institute with an acknowledgement sentence: This thesis or project (title) was supported by the AUB - Issam Fares Institute Nadim Makdisi Memorial Fund;
- An up-to-date CV;
- The grant is for a maximum of $2,000 USD for each successful applicant, to be spent on research purposes. Some exceptions can be made for more costly research projects;
- Students are required to complete the application form that includes: submitting a budget breakdown, which comprises travel, field work, transportation and other fields. All receipts need to be submitted to the Issam Fares Institute for financial records. Students are also required to submit their CV as mentioned above.
- The student’s academic advisor's approval for the topic of research will be required. Interested students should fill out the application form on the Issam Fares Institute’s website electronically and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once the grant is approved, the student will submit all the required documents and the first payment will be issued approximately one month after signature of the grant agreement.
- Based on the selection and approval process, we will be looking into publishing certain successful submissions as a Nadim Makdisi Memorial Fund publication, digitally.
For more information please contact Ms. Sarine Karajerjian (email@example.com