The Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) at AUB is responsible to safeguard the rights and welfare of human subjects participating in Biomedical and Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS) research activities conducted under the auspices of AUB/AUBMC. It is committed to protect, ensure respect and foster awareness for those rights. This is achieved by governing and authorizing the conduct of research that follows the three ethical principles of the Belmont Report namely: Respect for Persons; Beneficence and Justice; and that abides by the principles of responsible research conduct scientific integrity.
The IRB, that is the core component of HRPP, is the committee formally designated by HRPP to review and approve the conduct of research involving human subjects who are recruited to participate in research activities conducted at AUB/AUBMC and/or by AUB/AUBMC faculty, students and staff, regardless of the funding source or the location of the research.
Important Notice (March 22, 2021): Human Subject Research Conduct During COVID-19:
Research-related activities may proceed as approved by the IRB prior to the lockdown. It is the responsibility of the researchers and their teams to adhere to AUBMC-infection control mandated practices including the following:
- Implement hand hygiene before and after every interaction with participants.
- Screen research team members on a regular basis for COVID-19 exposure through temperature readings.
- Screen participants for COVID-19 exposure by asking them a set of questions as detailed in the attached memo.
- Face masks must be worn by researchers and participants at all times.
- Implement and maintain physical distancing for at least 2 meters.
- For high-risk participants, including those over 65 years of age or those with known comorbidities, who are not presenting for clinical purposes, the decision about in-person research visits to our site should be made by the study principal investigator on a case-by-case basis, weighing risks of person-to-person contact against the potential benefits of the study intervention and monitoring
- Limit the presence of participants at a given time to less than 3 while maintaining appropriate physical distancing.
- Regularly clean/disinfect high touch surfaces and when visibly dirty (shared materials, equipment, workstations, keypads, etc.) using approved AUBMC disinfectants.
- Ventilate the workplace daily, preferably with natural ventilation by opening the window. In case of AC, maintain recirculation with outdoor air. Avoid the use of individual fans.
For research protocols to be held outside AUBMC site, these will be approved on a case by case basis upon ensuring that appropriate arrangements have been put in place to protect participants and research team members during person to person encounters.
For more details on precautions that need to observed upon interacting with research participants, please refer to the attached memo.
If for some reason researchers are not able to adhere to the above-mentioned guidelines, please contact the IRB office for guidance.
Important Notice: New Form to Complete with Every IRB submission:
The IRB is happy to present a guidance document that will help research teams learn about documents that are required to be submitted along with every type of IRB submission and to secure a complete submission and thus expedite the IRB review and hence the approval. This checklist is required with every IRB application. please find the checklist and guidance document on the following link:
Important Notice - March 16, 2020 (Online Submissions):
In view of the evolving situation in Lebanon in regards to COVID-19 pandemic, the HRPP and IRB at AUB will be switching its operations to electronic communications.
Until further notice, please submit your IRB applications, research materials, continuing review forms, study closure forms, and serious adverse events reports (SAEs) as email attachments to email@example.com. In order to help IRB staff efficiently sort and route emails and thus avoid delays, please follow the attached instructions:
IRB submission Updates
HRPP Policies and Procedures Update:
Policy of Patient Enrollment in Clinical Research is updated and posted in the Policies and Procedures section of this website. Please check the policy details and practice instructions. (Patient Enrollment in Clinical Research