11th Call for Proposals
Submission Deadline : February 20, 2020
Awards Announcement: June 30, 2020
Scheduled Project Start Date: September 1, 2020
Click on the image to submit your proposal
Proposals for projects are sought in any of the following two topics designated for the current call:
These projects fall under the Masri Institute priority areas:
- Alternative energy and energy efficiency
- Exploration and recovery of oil and gas
- Water and mineral resources
- Efficient downstream processing of oil and gas
- Energy management and resource planning
- Policy research, legislation development, and technology need assessment
Full-time faculty members at any professorial rank (assistant, associate, and full professors) are eligible to apply. Faculty members who are on a leave without pay for more than one semester during the grant’s award period will not be eligible for funding. Visiting faculty members, faculty members in the non-professorial ranks, and faculty members in their terminal year at the University are not eligible for funding.
- Support two projects focused on one or two topics in each research call cycle.
- Topics are determined annually.
- Faculty in collaborative research teams bid on project deliverables in ways that ensure expected outcomes of each project.
- The funding per project is up to $25,000/year for up to two years.
- The budget categories are subject to the same restrictions of URB with the exception of personnel where the hiring of graduate research assistants, PhD students, or research assistants is not constrained by the same limit. The budget cannot be used for conference travel, summer.
PROPOSAL SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Faculty members are required to adhere to the following guidelines when submitting their grant applications:
- Project title; indicate if submission is relevant to project 1 or project 2
- Background, problem statement and justification
- Objectives of the research
- Research methods
- Expected results and explanation of how the research meets the objectives of the Masri Institute.
- Tentative schedule and budget. Note that multi-year long term projects are equally encouraged.
- Principal Investigator (PI) and study team information on expertise and previous work in the proposed research area for each member of the core research team
- Two-page CVs of PI and team members
All proposals must be received at MI online submission system by 5:00 PM, February 5, 2020. No exceptions or extensions will be granted. MI has the right to reject any or all the proposals.
Proposals should not have major overlap with previously funded projects, and should not be submitted to other funding sources at the same time including AUB internal funding sources such as Farouk Jabre Interfaculty Grants, Collaborative Research Stimulus, URB Grants, MPP Grants, etc.
Description, conditions, and evaluation methods are provided in the two project calls.
*Note that the proposal transmittal form should be completed and sent to OGC as per regular internal URB funding routing process.
REVIEW AND SELECTION PROCESS
Proposals will be evaluated internally and externally based on the following criteria:
- Scientific merit, originality and appropriateness of the intended objectives and methods proposed in the context of the current call
- Attention to interdisciplinary, local and regional relevance to the gas, oil sector, water, as well as green energy technologies, policies on proper governance and processes for the energy sector for protection of the environment and responsible use of natural resources.
Funded projects will commence on September 1, 2020 and will be required to submit an annual report to the institute email at
email@example.com or upload on the website.
The funded research projects are expected to generate quality publications that should acknowledge the support from the Munib and Angela Masri Institute of Energy and Natural Resources
Renewal of funding will depend on the research progress. Progress report is to be submitted before June 15, 2021.