The Munib and Angela Masri Institute of Energy and Natural Resources at
AUB was established in June 2007 through an endowment pledge of $5 million by the Munib R. Masri Foundation.
The Institute is conceived as a framework that supports energy research at AUB by providing opportunities for faculty
Engage in collaborative interdisciplinary research
Integrate resources in order to achieve higher research quality
Attract public and private regional and international partnerships and funding
AUB believes that sharing resources and facilitating interdisciplinary research and education in energy and energy related studies would contribute to major breakthroughs providing new outreach opportunities and promote the social and economic development of the region.
The Munib and Angela Masri Institute of Energy and Natural Resources provides a vehicle for promoting research and advanced study in the petroleum, water, and energy disciplines, as well as a focal point for collaborative research among scientists, engineers, and professionals in Lebanon and in the region at large. The institute serves as an interfaculty coordinating unit in AUB and a catalyst for advanced research in the sciences and engineering for the management and conservation of natural resources and energy.
- Conduct research in the sciences, engineering, and business with special emphasis on energy and natural resources.
- Act as a regional research facility for various sciences such as geology, hydrogeology, environmental sciences, natural resource management, petroleum studies, business, and the various fields of engineering.
- Promote and contribute to the advancement of training programs in the petroleum and energy sciences and in the effective use and management of natural resources.
- Support postdoctoral research and education at AUB, and at other local and regional universities
- Foster a multidisciplinary environment encompassing the various areas of energy and natural resource science.
- Identify and pursue promising new fields of science, engineering, business, and/or policy studies that could be integrated into the Masri Institute and the university.
- Act as a focal point for promoting collaborative research among scientists and professionals in the region through accommodating visitors for various intervals of time, and byorganizing topical meetings, workshops, and conferences in different fields.
- Play a critical role in reviving and developing new undergraduate and graduate programs at AUB in fields encompassing chemical and petroleum engineering, natural resources science, and energy science and engineering.