Fully Funded PhD Opportunity in the area of Sustainability
The Maroun Semaan Faculty of Engineering and Architecture (MSFEA) at the American University of Beirut (AUB) is seeking candidates for a fully funded PhD position in the area of sustainability. Research areas include, but are not limited to: water, energy storage, renewable energy, biofuels, photovoltaics, waste to energy, waste to chemicals, solid waste management, transportation, air pollution, sustainable materials, energy efficient buildings, etc. Special emphasis is placed on recruiting talented, self-motivated candidates who are ready to use their creative and innovative skills to leverage the special contexts of Lebanon and the Middle East region for their research. Interested candidates can apply to any of the below programs:
- Civil Engineering,
- Electrical and Computer Engineering,
- Environmental and Water Resources Engineering, and
- Mechanical Engineering
AUB campus is located in the center of Beirut, Lebanon's capital city, with access to the Mediterranean Sea. It has approximately 700 full-time faculty members and 8,000 students from more than 60 countries. Inspired by the culture and the challenges that Beirut and the region provide, MSFEA faculty and students are constantly motivated to work on defining and solving complex problems with an end goal of enhancing human well-being.
The selected PhD student will join the relevant research area group led by MSFEA professors and will be identified as the Maroun Semaan Fellow after graduation. The appointment includes a monthly stipend, full tuition, and other benefits.
To be eligible, applicants should have completed their undergraduate and master's degrees in a university outside of Lebanon and should fulfill the acceptance requirements as detailed in the following website.
Engineering students from any discipline with BS/BE and MS/ME degree may apply.
How to Apply
- Send your CV to: email@example.com
- Apply to the Graduate Program here
- Deadline for application for admission in August 2019 is March 18th, 2019. Applications received after March 18th 2019 will be considered for admission in January 2020.
For more information, please contact Dima Matar: firstname.lastname@example.org
Funded PhD Opportunities at the Oil and Gas Exploration and Development Group
Two industry funded PhD opportunities are available in the domain of Optimization in Oil and
Gas Field Development Planning. The focus will be on:
- Developing optimization methods for well placement & operation and surface facility planning.
- Methods need to be pragmatic enough to be used in real field development planning projects within the timeframe constraints of real projects.
- Methods need to account for uncertainty (e.g. subsurface uncertainty uncertainty in the hydrocarbon reservoir properties)
- Implementing the developed methods in commercial software. Typically, Ocean Software Development Framework and DELFI Cognitive E&P Environment will be used for the purpose.
- Collaborate with the funding company research and development centers to ensure performed research and developed solutions fulfill the objectives of the research.
- Testing the implemented algorithms on real Field Development Projects in coordination with the funding company.
The selected PhD students will join the Oil and Gas Exploration and Development Group led by Prof. Kassem Ghorayeb.
To be eligible, applicants should fulfill the acceptance requirements as detailed in the following website.
Students can apply directly for an Accelerated PhD Program based on their average in their undergraduate work. Details are provided here.
Engineering students from any discipline with BE or MS/ME degrees with strong background in mathematics and programming may apply.
How to Apply
1. Send your CV to the below email
2. Follow this process
3. Deadline for application: March 18th, 2019
For more information, please contact Prof. Kassem Ghorayeb: email@example.com