The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) offers the degree of Bachelor of Engineering (BE): Major Civil Engineering (CE).
The mission of the undergraduate program is to provide a stimulating and supportive environment for high-standard education; to prepare graduates for a lifelong productive career in addressing problems in a rapidly-changing world, while instilling in them an appreciation of leadership qualities, professionalism, and ethics; to provide professional services of the highest quality to the community; and to contribute to expanding the knowledge and technological base in civil and environmental engineering.
Objectives and Outcomes
The objectives of the CE program are to see our graduates move on to become:
- Engineers who hold central positions, create sustainable and ethical solutions, and advance the knowledge in various sub-disciplines of civil engineering in local, regional, and international practice.
- Graduates who are admitted to, and successfully complete, advanced degrees in leading universities around the world.
- Leaders and innovators in their profession and in the service of their community.
The CE Student outcomes are ABET outcomes (1) through (7).
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering (BE) was accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET from October 1, 2008.