As early as 1913, the American University of Beirut recognized the need for engineering education and training in the Arab East, thus courses in this field were offered in the School of Arts and Sciences. In 1951, a separate School of Engineering was established and curricula were initiated in civil engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and architectural engineering. In 1966, the School was renamed the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture that comprised, among others, the Department of Civil Engineering, which was renamed in 1992 as the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE).
The Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering at AUB has a long and proud tradition of excellence. Our graduates have gone on to establish thriving companies and leading institutions. They have helped shape and develop Lebanon and the region, and have had a marked presence and contributions wherever they worked. These are particularly exciting times for the CEE profession in general as well as for the CEE Department at AUB. Graduating CEE engineers are benefiting from very stimulating work experiences in the region, many of which are related to megaprojects in the building and infrastructure sectors.