American University of Beirut


​​Q1: If I missed my registration time slot or the entire registration period what should I do? A1: Speak with the MSFEA Student Services Officer, Alia Kazma Serhal. Her office is located in Masri Bldg., room M304. Q2: Who is my advisor?
A2: You can find the name of your advisor by logging onto SIS.

Q3: My advisor is not present; to whom should I go for advice?
A3: First read through the FAQ list to see if you can find an answer to your question. If you do not find an answer to your question go to the chairperson of your department. S/he will answer your question or tell you who to see.

Q4: How can I get my alternate PIN?
A4: Your advisor has your alternate PIN number.

Q5: My advisor does not have my alternate PIN, who can give me this information?
A5: Speak with the MSFEA Student Services Officer, Alia Kazma Serhal. Her office is located in Masri Bldg., room M304.

Q6: How do I use the alternate pin?
A6: After you log on to SIS you will be asked to give your PIN.

Q7: How do I find out the English level I am placed in?
A7: If you are a new student check with the Admissions Office to find which English class you must take. If you are a continuing student the English department should be able to answer your question.

Q8: I took ENGL 204 do I need to take ENGL 206?
A8: If you took ENGL 204 before joining the MSFEA you do not need to take ENGL 206. 

Q9: I was placed in ENGL 204 do I take it or ENGL 206 instead?
A9: If you are in engineering or the architecture program you must take ENGL 206. If you are a graphic design major you should take ENGL 204.

Q10: How do I find out when an Arabic placement test will be given, and where can I find the results after I take the test?
A10: This information is available in the Department of Arabic and Near Eastern Languages located in College Hall on the 4th floor. Check the website of the Arabic Department.

Q11: What Arabic course should I take?
A11: The course that you are placed in is dependent upon the results of your Arabic placement test. Those students who are exempt from taking Arabic must take Arabic 200 or a humanities course (either from List I or List II) or a social science course (list I or II) or a language course.

Q12: Should I follow the required course list exactly? Which courses have prerequisites? Which courses can I delay taking?
A12: You do not have to strictly follow the course list; however, there are sequences of courses with prerequisites in all the programs. Check the AUB undergraduate catalogue or the course syllabus for the specific prerequisites. If there are no prerequisites for a course you may postpone taking it; it is advisable to check with your advisor. 

Q13: What are the humanities courses or the social science courses I am permitted to take? 
A13: First check the MSFEA section of the most recent catalogue​ for a complete list of the acceptable electives. If you still have questions see your advisor.

Q14: May I take my humanities electives in business or engineering management?
A14: Business and engineering management courses are not considered humanities courses.

Q15: How do I register for a minor in engineering management?
A15: First check the EM minor program requirements in the catalogue. Then you must complete an Engineering Management Course Plan form which is available in the MSFEA Dean’s Office. The form requires the signature of the program coordinator.

Q16: How do I apply for a minor in bio-medical engineering?
A16: Check the AUB Undergraduate Catalogue for the requirements then complete the form on the ECE home page.

Q17: Can I take a graduate course as an elective?
A17: Undergraduate students may take graduate courses as electives if the class has not reached capacity. However, some programs limit the number of electives a student may take outside the department.

Q18: What are the ethics courses?
A18: INDE 410 Engineering Ethics or an approved Ethics course.

Q19: What should I do when I cannot register in my core course?
A19: Contact your department.

Q20: If while trying to register for a course I get a prerequisite or a test score error, what should I do?
A20: First go to the administrative officer of your department, and if s/he is not able to solve the problem go to the Student Services Manager. The Student Services Manager can help resolve problems with courses offered outside the MSFEA. 

Q21: Should I go to the Registrar to have restrictions removed? 
A21: No, you should go to the department offering the course. 

Q22: Why are there restrictions on courses for majors?
A22: Registration restrictions are put on some courses to give priority to students who need the course to complete the requirements in their major.

Q23: If the capacity in an MSFEA class needs to be increased in order for me to register, what should I do?
A23: You should first talk to the department concerned; you will need the instructor’s permission. If the problem persists you should contact the Student Services Manager.

Q24: Why must I ask permission from a chair or coordinator to open capacity if there is space?
A24: Some courses have restrictions placed on them to ensure that students who require the course for their major will be able to register.

Q25: If the capacity of a course outside the MSFEA must be increased in order for me to register, what should I do?
A25: You should see the Student Services Manager who will assist you by contacting the appropriate department.

Q26: Can capacity in lab class be opened if I bring my own laptop? 
A26: No, the space in a lab class is strictly limited.

Q27: Can I switch sections if the section is open?
A27: Yes, you may switch sections but it can be done only during the drop and add period.

Q28: Why can’t my department open capacity in other Faculties?
A28: Each Faculty has control over the courses that they offer. It is difficult to predict the number of sections that will be required especially for first year courses. Opening a new section requires assigning instructors and rooms; this is done within the Faculty.

Q29: Do I have to wait until drop and add day to change my registration?
A29: You can make changes during phase I registration or until the drop and add period.
The system is used for many functions (grades, fees etc.) and for logistical reasons caused by load on the system you must wait.

Q30: What is the course load that I am required or permitted to take during the summer? 
A30: Nine credits is the standard course load during the summer term. If you are doing a summer internship and wish to register for an additional course you must submit a petition to the MSFEA Academic Committee. The course can only be taken if it is scheduled after or before regular work hours.

Q31: How do I request an overload?
A31: If the overload will involve 19 or less credits it can be approved at the departmental l​evel. If the overload will result in more than 19 credits a petition must be filed with the MSFEA Academic Committee. The committee’s approval will depend upon your GPA and if any of the courses are being repeated. Normally first year students are not granted overload permission. Students may petition the MSFEA Academic Committee for overload permission.

Q32: What is the minimum grade that I need to clear probation?
A32: The minimum grade required to remove probation is dependent upon your previous  grades. Probation is removed when a student attains a semester average of 69 or more in the third or fourth regular semester, or a semester average of 70 or more in any subsequent regular semester. “Probation should be removed within two regular semesters, excluding summer, after the student is placed on probation, or when the student completes his/her graduation requirements.” (See: AUB Undergraduate Catalogue: Removal of Probation and Graduation Requirements).

Q33: How and when can I transfer out of, or into a department?
A33: Usually you may transfer after completing two regular terms in a department. You must complete the change of major form on the MSFEA website (click on Student Resources and then Petitions and Forms).

Q34: What is the minimum grade average needed to transfer?
A34: All changes of major are subject to the approval of the department to which the change is requested. The average required depends on the department and the availability of space; check the catalogue for specific requirements.

Q35: If I am going to transfer from one major to another within theMS MSFEA what courses should I take so as not to waste a whole semester? What courses are required?
A35: Check the catalogue and see your advisor.

Q36: Can I use the courses that I took abroad as an exchange student as part of my graduation requirements?
A36: Yes, if the courses are pre-approved through a petition to the MSFEA Academic Committee.

Q37: What must I do for my summer training internship?
A37: Check with the MSFEA Career Development Center and remember you must register for the Approved Experience course in your major. 

Q38: What is my class rank?
A38: The MSFEA does not provide any ranking beyond the honor list. 

Q39: What forms do I need to complete before, during and after my internship?
A39: All engineering programs require:

  1. Proposal of Approved Experience form
  2. Notice of Arrival form
  3. Interim Training Report
  4. Letter from Employer
  5. Final Training Report
For more information see the course syllabus. 

Q40: How many students can be in an FYP group?
A40: Check with your department.

Q41: I am a fourth-year student what courses do I need to graduate?
A41: Check with your advisor. There is a degree evaluation on SIS and on the WEB.

Q42: What do I do to get a clearance for graduation?
A42: Go to the Registrar on line and click on Forms.

Q43: What forms should I complete before my graduation?
A43: You will receive an email with all info to complete the clearance.

Q44: How can I know that I have taken all my required courses and that I am eligible for graduation?
A44: Check with your advisor. There is a degree evaluation on SIS and on the WEB. 

Q45: What is my GPA? How do I translate this to the 4.0 scale?
A45: Your GPA is on your transcript. You can get a conversion table at the Registrar’s Office. 

Q46: How can I know my graduation GPA?
A46: You must wait until all your final grades are posted on the web.
Your final average will be included on your transcript.

Q47: When I apply to graduate school, what courses are used to calculate my GPA?
A47: If you are applying to a graduate program at AUB the last two years of grades are considered. If you are applying elsewhere the entire transcript may be considered. 

Q48: I am willing to transfer to chemical engineering and want to know if CHEM 201 is equivalent to CHEM 204?
A48: If you took CHEM 201 prior to joining the chemical engineering program, you will have to take CHEM 204 and you can count CHEM 201 as a science elective.

Q49: What are the courses that should not be taken as science elective in chemical engineering?
A49: Math 204, Accounting courses, Business Ethics (as ethics course).

Q50: Is course CMPS 200 equivalent to EECE 230/231?
A50: If you took CMPS 200 prior to joining the chemical engineering program, you can get equivalence with EECE 230/231 by submitting a petition, but if you are a chemical engineering student you will not get equivalence.

Q51: Is course PHYS 211 equivalent to EECE 210?
A51: No, it is not equivalent to it, but it is considered as a science elective.

Q52: When I was a freshman student I took ENGL 203. Is it considered as English elective?
A52: If you took ENGL 203 during freshman with no other English course, it will be considered with freshman. You will have to take ENGL 206 and another ENGL elective course.

Q53: I am a transfer student from CEE to chemical engineering. Does CIVE 201 count as MECH 220?
A53: Yes, but you have to petition for course equivalence to be considered, noting that MECH 220 counts as 1 cr.

Q54: Can I take overload during summer term?
A54: No, only 9 credits are allowed during summer terms because if it is calculated to fall and spring terms it will be 18 credits, which is already overload.

Q55: Before my transfer to MSFEA I took ENGL 231, and now I want this course to be considered as a humanities course in MSFEA.
A55: No, ENGL 231 was never counted as humanities. 

Q56: Can I count CHEM 215 as a science elective?
A56: For technical electives outside the major only senior courses are accepted. 

Q57: If I want to transfer to CHEN from other faculty in AUB how many terms/credits should I have completed?
A57: You should have completed two terms / 24 credits of which 12 credits are science courses. 

Q58: In Humanities there are two lists. How many courses should I take from each list?
A58: You should take only 1 course from List II and the rest from list I. If you took INDE 410 (list II) as an Ethics course, you still can take 1 course from list II and the rest from list I. If all humanities are from list I, it is fine.

Q59: How do I get the equivalence of courses taken from universities abroad?
A59: You should first get the approval of the course’s instructor and its department, secure the signature of your advisor, then take the documents to MSFEA Students Services Manager Mrs. Kazma, Masri Bldg., room M304. 

Q60: I am a sophomore student transferred from chemistry department to chemical engineering. I want to know CHEM 207 and CHEM 219 are equivalent to other courses required in chemistry major.
A60: You have to petition to count CHEM 215 and CHEM 216 as equivalent to CHEM 219. For students joining after September 2018, CHEM 207 is equivalent to CHEM 211 + LAB (1 cr.).

Q61: What are the science electives/natural sciences approved by the department for me to take?
A61: Natural Science courses approved by our program:

  • BIOL 201 - General Biology I - 4 cr.
  • BIOL 210 - Human Biology - 3 cr.
  • BIOL 250 - Biosphere - 3 cr.
  • CHEM 209 - Introductory Organic Laboratory - 2 cr.
  • CHEM 212 - Organic Chemistry II - 3 cr.
  • GEOL 201 - Physical Geology - 3 cr.
  • GEOL 205 - Earth Resources and Energy - 3 cr.
  • PHYS 210 - Introductory Physics II - 3 cr. (optional PHYS 210L 1 cr.)
  • PHYS 211 - Electricity and Magnetism - 3 cr.
  • ​PHYS 212 - Modern Physics - 3 cr. 

​Q62: I am a sophomore student transferred from chemistry department to chemical engineering. I want to know if CHEM 217 is equivalent to CHEN 214 / MECH 310.
A62: CHEM 217 is not equivalent to CHEN 214 / MECH 310.​

Q63: How many technical elective courses can I take from outside major?
A63: You can take only one technical elective course from outside major after getting the approval of your advisor. 

Contact Us

For various questions, please try contacting us via social media first!
read more

Privacy Statement

We take data privacy seriously and adhere to all applicable data privacy laws and regulations.
read more

Copyright and Disclaimer

Written permission is needed to copy or disseminate all or part of the materials on the AUB website.
read more

Title IX, Non-Discrimination, and Anti-Discriminatory Harassment

AUB is committed to providing a safe, respectful, and inclusive environment to all members of its community.
read more