The Beirut Urban Lab is a collaborative and interdisciplinary research space. The Lab produces scholarship on urbanization by documenting and analyzing ongoing transformation processes in Lebanon and its region's natural and built environments. It intervenes as an interlocutor and contributor to academic debates about historical and contemporary urbanization from its position in the Global South.
We work towards materializing our vision of an ecosystem of change empowered by critical inquiry and engaged research, and driven by committed urban citizens and collectives aspiring to just, inclusive, and viable cities.
What we do
- Produce and disseminate impactful knowledge in the form of scholarship, critical inquiry, and documentation.
- Advance design as an impact-oriented reflective practice.
- Develop experimental methods and innovative tools of investigation.
- Foster learning experiences through training, mentoring, and knowledge exchange.
- Invest in nurturing networks that support the ecosystem of change at multiple scales.
- Engage multiple publics through informing and influencing academic debates, policy making, activism, and professional practice.