The Dome of the Rock, is an octagonal shrine located on the al Haram al Sharif in the old city of Jerusalem.
Built in 691AD, this religious monument was originally covered with glass mosaic design that suffered deterioration over time. Under Sultan Suleiman's reign (1520-1566) the exterior was clad with glazed polychrome tiles.
Five pieces glazed tiles conserved at the AUB Museum were identified by Prof. John Carswell as originating from the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem and are displayed in the Islamic gallery at the AUB Museum. A significant display panel shows the original position of these tiles on the south porch of the Dome of the Rock.
The AUB Museum is very fortunate to have a collection of Ottoman ceramic tiles which were originally used as part of the exterior cladding of the Qubbat al-Sakhra (Dome of the Rock).
Eid Fitr Mubarak from AUB Museum!