The Early Years: 1868-1902
In 1868, two years after the founding of the university, General Cesnola, the American consul in Cyprus, donated the first gift of Cypriot pottery to AUB. Over the years, the collection had grown extensively from donations, purchases and exchanges with other museums. Georges Post, Professor of Botany and Surgery, took
charge of the Museum in 1870 and was the curator for all the university
collections which included: Archaeology, Natural History, Zoology, Geology, and
Botanic. Initially the archaeological collection was in one room of the Main Building (College Hall) before the construction of a Science Building encouraged by Dr. Post in 1899. Mr. Jessup offered $20,000 as an initial contribution in gratitude to Dr. Post for curing him on condition that the building bore the name of George E. Post. The building was completed in 1902.
In 1956 the AUB Trustees secured funds to double the Museum space and buy new equipment. In this year, museum curator Dr. D.C. Baramki organized the rehabilitation of the ground floor of Post Hall to be entirely dedicated to the Archaeological collection; the Natural History, zoology and botanic collections were moved to the
Department of Biology, and the Geology collection to theDepartment of Geology.Thanks to Dr. D.C. Baramkis' efforts the refurbished and expanded Museum was reopened to the public in 1964.
For various questions, please try contacting us via social media first!
We take data privacy seriously and adhere to all applicable data privacy laws and regulations.
Written permission is needed to copy or disseminate all or part of the materials on the AUB website.
AUB is committed to providing a safe, respectful, and inclusive environment to all members of its community.