Architectural photo: Lobby and boardroom
New York Office Timeline:
Before 1919, University affairs in New York City are conducted out of the offices of the chairman of the Board of Trustees.
In 1919, the office is established at 18 East 41st Street. It shares space with the Near East College Association (NECA), which includes The Constantinople Women's College and Robert's College, Constantinople. The office is headed by Albert W. Staub.
In the 1930s, the office shares services and space with the NECA and moves to 50 West 50th Street.
By the 1960s, the office has grown to the point of needing an independent space. NECA changes its name to International Institutional Services (IIS), located at 548 Fifth Avenue. In 1964, the office moves to its first standalone space at 555 Fifth Avenue.
In the early 1970s the office is located at 305 East 45th Street. A gas leak explosion caused a fire destroys the office. For the next several years, the office is located at 380 Madison Avenue.
1988 - 2003
The NYO relocates to a larger space at 850 Third Avenue. IIS (International Institutional Services) is dissolved in the 1990s.
2003 - present
AUB purchases the condominium at 3 Dag Hammarskjold Plaza (aka 305 East 47th Street), and in 2005, it names the office in honor of Dr. Richard A. Debs, Chairman of the Board of Trustees (1995-2005). Eileen F. O'Connor is the first director of the office under its new name, the Debs Center.