1. What is the difference between the University for Seniors and other continuing education or adult education classes?
The AUB University for Seniors differs from other continuing education programs in that it is only open to adults older than 50. There are no exams or certificates given.
The uniqueness of AUB’s University for Seniors lies in its three guiding principles:
- Peer-learning: participants share what they know and learn from each other. There are no paid teachers. Seniors with a passion and expertise for a certain subject volunteer to facilitate a study group or give a lecture
- Community-building: The UfS adopts a membership concept whereby one joins a term rather than enrolls in a specific course. This reinforces the idea that one is part of the community of the University for Seniors. Social events are also organized during the terms to strengthen this principle
- Intergenerational connections: Seniors are connected to the regular AUB student body. These intergenerational connections are created through multiple academic and extra-curricular activities on and off campus.
2. Are study group leaders paid?
No. Study group leaders are volunteers who would like to share their expertise or passion with others.
3. How are topics chosen?
The choice of topics is based on the expressed interest of members, and the willingness of members to lead study groups or lectures on those topics. New study groups are always welcome and popular study groups are sometimes repeated.
4. What is the difference between membership and registration?
When you pay your membership fees, you become a member of the University for Seniors for a term. This allows you to register (separately) to study groups at no extra fee. Only members may register.
5. When does registration normally take place, and how?
Registration takes place before the start of each term. Currently there are two terms a year, Fall (Sep-Dec) and Spring (March-June). Everyone on our mailing list receives the program and registration details by email weeks before term starts. To join our mailing list, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
6. What is the term membership fee?
UfS charges membership fees to partly cover the running cost of the program. Currently the membership fee is $200 per term, which allows members to participate in as many activities as capacity permits.
7. Once I pay my membership fees, do I have to pay for other activities?
The cost of cultural travel programs in Lebanon or other countries is not included in membership fees and require additional payments. Members also pay the cost of material when needed in few activities.
8. I am 49½ years old, can I join?
Not yet, but we look forward to welcoming you after your 50th birthday.
9. Can I bring a friend or my cousin to the study group I am participating in?
Term members will be allowed to invite as many guests as they wish (even if they are not seniors) to the offerings classified as “Public Events”. Kindly inform the team by email to email@example.com
or calling 01-350 000 ext 2563, 3632 in advance of the person’s name and e-mail contact; and if they are seniors, membership information will be sent to them.
10. Who do I go to if I have questions?
For additional information, or to join the mailing list, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call us at 01-350 000 Ext 2563 or 3632
11. Do you have a Facebook page?
Yes we do, we invite you to check and like our page (Click here