Fadi El-Jardali is an Associate Professor of Health Policy and Systems; Director of the Knowledge to Policy (K2P) Center; Co-Director of the Center for Systematic Reviews in Health Policy and Systems Research (SPARK); Research Program Director for the Research, Advocacy and Public Policy (RAPP) Program in the Arab World at Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs; and Co-Director of the Nodal institute at the American University of Beirut, Lebanon, Lebanon. He is an Associate Professor (part-time) at the Department of Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics, McMaster University in Canada.
His research activities, publications and interest are focused on health policymaking, knowledge translation, governance, performance reporting for health systems and organizations, quality of care, accreditation, patient safety, and human resources for health. He led several multi-country initiatives and projects in several countries and regions. He has published in international and regional peer review, high impact factor journals.
He has worked and held senior positions with policy analysis related organizations such as the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (as Hospital Consultant), Federal department of health / Health Canada (as Senior Policy Advisor) and the Health Council of Canada (as Health Economist and Program Manager).
Fadi is a recipient of the Global Health Leadership Award and was elected to the Board of Health Systems Global Society. He is a recipient of the Fellowship on Evidence Informed Policy from the Alliance for Health Policy and Systems Research. He is the founding member of the MENA Health Policy Forum and a member of its board of trustees. He is an Associate Editor for BMC Health Services Research Journal and also a member of the Editorial Advisory Board for the Health Policy and Planning Journal. He is a member of the Global Steering Committee for the WHO Evidence-Informed Policy Network (EVIPNet) He is an appointed member of the Wellcome Trust Joint Health System Research Initiative Committee. He is a certified accreditation surveyor with Accreditation Canada and a certified ISQUA surveyor with the International Society for Quality in Healthcare.
Fadi holds a PhD in Public Policy (2003) from Carleton University in Canada.
1. El-Jardali, F., Akl, E., Fadlallah, R., Oliver, S., Saleh, N., El-Bawab, L., Rizk, R., Farha, A., Hamra, R. Interventions to combat or prevent drug counterfeiting: A systematic review. BMJ Open (in press), 2015
2. El-Jardali, F., Fadlallah, R. A call for a backward design to knowledge translation.International Journal of Health Policy and Management, 2015 4(1): 1–5.
4. El-Jardali F, Akl EA, Karroum LB, et al. Systematic reviews addressing identified health policy priorities in Eastern Mediterranean countries: a situational analysis. Health research policy and systems / BioMed Central. 2014; 12:48.
5. El-Jardali F, Hammoud R, Younan L, Smaha Nuwayhid H, Abdallah N, Alameddine M, Bou-Karroum L, Salman L, The Making of Nursing Profession Practice Law in Lebanon: A Policy Analysis Case Study, Health Research Policy and Systems, 2014, 12:52
6. Moat, K., John N Lavis; Sarah J Clancy; Fadi El-Jardali; Tomas Pantoja, KTPE Study Team. Assessing views about evidence briefs and deliberative dialogues in low- and middle-income countries: A multi-country survey of policymakers, stakeholders and researchers, Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 2014 92(1):20-8
7. El-Jardali F, Jaafar M, Hemadeh R, Sagherian L, El-Skaff R, Mdeihly R, Jamal D, Ataya N, The Impact of Accreditation of Primary Healthcare Centers: Successes, Challenges and Policy Implications as Perceived by Healthcare Providers and Directors in Lebanon, BMC Health Services Research 2014, 14:86
8. Moat, K., John N Lavis; Sarah J Clancy; Fadi El-Jardali; Tomas Pantoja; KTPE Study Team. Evidence briefs and deliberative dialogues: perceptions and intentions to act on what was learnt, Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 92:20-28
9. El-Jardali F, Lavis JN, Jamal D, Ataya N, Dimassi H. Evidence-Informed Health Policies in Eastern Mediterranean Countries: Comparing Views of Policymakers and Researchers,Evidence & Policy Journal, 2014, 10 (3): 397-420
10. El-Jardali F, Adam T, Ataya N, Jamal D, Jaafar M. Constraints to applying systems thinking concepts in health systems: A regional perspective from surveying stakeholders in Eastern Mediterranean countries. International journal of health policy and management. 2014;3: 399-407.
11. El-Jardali F, Lavis J, Moat K, Pantoja T, Ataya N, Capturing lessons learned from evidence-to-policy initiatives through structured reflection, Health Research Policy and Systems,2014, 12:2
12. El-Jardali F, Alameddine M, Jamal D, et al. A national study on nurses' retention in healthcare facilities in underserved areas in Lebanon. Human resources for health. 2013;11: 49.
13. El-Jardali F, Alameddine M, Jamal D, Dimassi H, , Dumit NY, McEwen M, Jaafar M, Murray SF. Factors Associated with Nurses’ Retention in Underserved Areas: The case of Lebanon,Human Resources for Health Journal, 2013, 11:49
14. El-Jardali F, Murray SF, Dimassi H, Jamal D, AbuAlRub R, Al-Surimi K, Clinton M, Dumit NY. Intention to stay of Nurses in current posts in difficult-to-staff areas of Yemen, Jordan, Lebanon and Qatar: A Cross-sectional study, International Journal of Nursing, 2013, 50 (11): 1481-94
15. El-Jardali F, Ammar R, Hemadeh R, Jamal D, Jaafar M. Improving Primary Health Care through Accreditation: Baseline Assessment of Readiness and Challenges in Lebanese Context, International Journal of Health Planning and Management, 2013 Mar 20
16. Ammar,W., Khalife, J., El-Jardali, F., Romanos, J., Harb, H, Hamadeh, G., Dimassi, H. : Hospital accreditation, reimbursement and case mix: links and insights for contractual systems, BMC Health Services Research, 2013; 13:505
17. El-Jardali F., Lavis JN, Ataya N, Jamal D, Ammar W, Raouf S, Use of Health Systems Evidence by Policymakers in Eastern Mediterranean Countries: Views, Practices, and Contextual Influences, BMC Health Services Research, 2012, 12:200
18. El-Jardali, F., Ataya, N., Jamal, D., Jaafar, M. A multi-faceted approach to promote knowledge translation platforms in Eastern Mediterranean countries: climate for evidence-informed policy, Health Research Policy and Systems, 2012, 10: 15
19. El-Jardali F., Lavis JN, Ataya N, Jamal D, Use of Health Systems and Policy Research Evidence in the Health Policymaking in Eastern Mediterranean Countries: Views and Practices of Researchers, Implementation Science, 2012, 7:2
20. El-Jardali F, Jamal D, Ataya N, Jaafar M, Raouf S, Matta C, Michael S, Smith C. Health Policy and Systems Research in Twelve Eastern Mediterranean Countries: A Stocktaking of Production and Gaps (2000-2008), Health Research Policy and Systems, 2011 9(1):39
21. El-Jardali, F., Saleh, S., Ataya, N., Jamal, D. Design, Implementation and Scaling Up of the Balanced Scorecard for Hospitals in Lebanon: Policy Coherence and Application Lessons for Low and Middle Income Countries, Health Policy, 2011, 103: 305– 314
22. El-Jardali F. Dimassi H., Jamal D., Jaafar M., Hemadeh, N. Predictors and Outcomes of Patient Safety Culture in Hospitals, BMC Health Services Research, 2011, 11(1):45
23. El-Jardali F., Jaafar M., Dimassi H., Jamal D., Hamdan R. The Current state of Patient Safety Culture in Lebanese Hospitals: A study at Baseline. International Journal for Quality in HealthCare, 2011, 11:45.
24. El-Jardali F., Alameddine M., Dumit N., Dimassi H., Jamal D., and Maalouf S. Nurses’ Work Environment and Intent to Leave in Lebanese Hospitals: Implications for Policy and Practice. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2011 Feb;48(2):204-14
25. El-Jardali, F., Makhoul J., Jamal, D., Ranson M.K., Kronfol, N., and Tchaghchagian, V. Eliciting policymakers’ and stakeholders’ opinions to help shape health system research priorities in the Middle East and North Africa region, Health Policy and Planning, 2010, 25 (1): 1-13
26. El-Jardali, F., Jamal, D., Dimassi, H., Ammar, W., Tchaghchaghian, V. The Impact of Accreditation on Quality of Care in Lebanese Hospitals, International Journal for Quality in Health Care, 2008, 20(5): 363-371
27. El-Jardali F, Jamal D, Abdallah A, Kassak K. Human resources for health planning and management in the Eastern Mediterranean region: facts, gaps and forward thinking for research and policy. Human resources for health. 2007;5:9-9